Worried about Jitzu - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Worried about Jitzu

I'd like to start by saying that Jitzu is normally not the friendliest of kitties, and that she wasn't acting at all weird before this afternoon. Also I know that this is no substitute for vet care, but i need advice on a vet visit.

However, when I came back from doing some errands I noticed her limping slightly. I didn't notice until I was sitting down, she tried to jump onto the counter in the kitchen, and didn't make it. This is my cat who jumped from a standstill to the top of the 6 foot high book shelf.

When she came out of the kitchen she was favoring her left leg, and making an effort to stay near me. Usually she's more standoffish, but she stuck pretty close since I've been home. She made it up to her normal sleeping spot. A few more jumps than usual, but she did it. The spot is by our living room window, usually she just hops up to the top of the TV stand, and goes in her basket. Today she took the longer route, Onto my Bfs desk chair, the desk, the movie rack, then into the basket. She does that sometimes, but not normally.

She hung out in that spot for a while, but when she came down the limp had gotten much worse. She had let me feel the leg earlier, which is extremely odd for her btw, and there didn't seem to be a sore spot. I felt it again and I think the 'knee' joint is swollen. She's hardly putting any weight on it at all, and even when she sits she's holding it off the ground. She's also groomed that leg a lot.

Now for most people this wouldn't be odd, but her sticking so close to me is very odd for her. Literally she didn't let me out of her sight. She sat beside me for a good hour, usually she maxes out at 15 mins, unless i scratch a good spot. She's also been remarkably tolerant with the other kitties. Normally she would hiss if Muffin got near her, today she put up with him swatting her tail. Way out of character. She was even good with Torri...which is way beyond odd. The kicker for me was her letting me feel her leg. I know she's a smart cat, and I'd love to say she knew that I had to feel it. But to be honest usually she'd never put up with that. No matter how good her mood was! She just seems...off.

I know I should take her to a vet, but there's a few issues with it. She hates the vet. I don't just mean like every cat does. Last time she bit and assistant THROUGH the gloves. *sighs* and it's a huge stress on her, and me. I can't help but wonder if they'd be able to get near enough to examine her. I got a sedative last time, but it didn't do much for her. i could only get her to eat 1/2, and then the wait in the vet's office meant it had worn off by the time they saw her. No help at all.

Money is an issue too...but if I need to spend it I will. It'll just make things even harder.

Basically, should I wait and see how it is tm, the next day? Or should I call first thing tomorrow and say I need to bring her in...and get a sedative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Worried about Jitzu

I would say that if it doesn't appear better this morning, then it's time for the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I took her in this morning. It was amazing...she didn't freak out, let the vet touch her, move her joints, she even explored the room a bit. I'm amazed. However no luck really, he said it's likely a muscle pull and to see how it goes. She's still limping, and she's still clingy. I guess I just have to wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

He didn't give her any anti-inflammatories?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

no, he said he didn't see much wrong, and he didn't want to give her any pain meds either. That way she'll stay off of it. Basically he just said to keep an eye on her.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

So I've done exactly what the vet said, kept and eye on her. And it's getting worse. Now she's not even putting her paw down most of the time, she's hopping three-legged. Last night she stepped on it with her full weight and yelped. (I'm pretty sure she forgot it was hurt for a second...I've done that when I've been hurt too.

I'm debating trying a different vet. The boys need vaccinations (muffin #1, Doran Rabies), and I may call the holistic vet in the area and see if i can get all 3 in. *sighs* Any advice/ideas otherwise?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Premier Cat

My theory:she jumped and landed wrong.

Find a different vet for your acrobat
to this furdoc take your cat

STAT!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Bless her heart! Keep us posted, please.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I'm going in to a different vet tomorrow. The boys both need shots, so Jitzu's coming too. She's not putting any weight on it anymore. She's cleaning that leg almost constantly, and she mewls when she puts weight on it.

She'll still let me feel the entire leg, doesn't seem to have a specific sore spot. Has no range of motion problems...In the back of my mind I'm thinking "Could it be bone cancer?" I just don't think she landed wrong, if she had there'd be pain when the leg moved, or at a joint. Or when i felt her leg. There isn't, just when she puts weight on it. I love my girl, and I want her to feel better....but money-wise this is a really bad time for us. It really couldn't have happened at a worse time. Not that any time would be good for her to get hurt, but...you know what I mean.

If it costs much more I'll have to ask my parents for help, and I just would rather not. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. Wish us luck!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

When Cali hurt herself last Thanksgiving Day (never happens on a regular day, does it?), first she was limping, then not bearing any weight on her leg. I took her to the E.R. and the vet manipulated her paw and leg (we both thought it was her "wrist" that might be hurt). Cali never meowed or anything and the E.R. vet said it was probably a sprain and could wait until Monday when I could see my regular vet. I asked them to go ahead and take xrays and two of her toes were broken! The vet was quite shocked and we were both glad I insisted on the xrays.

I hope it's nothing serious.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page