Kidney Diets please advise - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Kidney Diets please advise

Kobie has been losing weight and last night was diagnosed with the beginning stages of Chronic Renal Failure. My vet wants to put him on a kidney diet and she gave me three to try.

Hills K/D
Royal Canin Renal LP
Purina NF

You should see the ingredient list on these foods. They all start with meat byproducts and corn. I don't want to feed this crap to my cat. But if its going to keep him alive and well longer, then I'll do it. I can't believe no one makes prescription diets with quality ingredients. Don't our sick pets deserve the very best?

Has anyone fed any of these foods before, and if so, how did your cat do on them? Is there another alternative out there that would be better for him that I just don't know about? Finally, I think I read on here before that there is a mailing list for cats with CRF, can someone point me that direction.

Thanks

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Banned

Re: Kidney Diets please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobster
...I think I read on here before that there is a mailing list for cats with CRF, can someone point me that direction.
You'll find one of those groups here.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know a lot about renal failure but can tell you this....what we think of as good ingredients; good muscle meat, is exactly what a cat in renal failure can't have. It's really the phosphorus that is the issue, which goes hand in hand with high protein. So you would need to find another food that has comparable phosphorus to the prescription diets. The other thing I know is dry food is a huge no no unless it's the only thing the cat will eat.

Here's Dr. Jean's article on CRF:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=003

Give Kobie a snuggle for me & my crew....

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks! That is very helpful.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page