So wet is better than dry... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
So wet is better than dry...

I'm reading all over this forum that canned food is better than dry. Somehow I've always learned that dry is better than wet, but I read some of the articles in the sticky, and I'm starting to feel swayed. But I've also read that you need to look for food with >30% protein content. I feel like all the canned food I look at is <30% protein content.

What I want to know is...

What kind of canned food do you recommend?

I want something that is healthy, but also affordable. I am a starving college student, but I want the best for my kitty! I feed him a good brand of cat food that I get from a specialty cat store, and they promise me it is good. Would Nito benefit from eating 50% dry 50% wet every day? I just want to know what you guys recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Cool Cat

Re: So wet is better than dry...

Some yave said that any wet is better than the best dry, but I'm not sure.
My guys have dry kibble for free-feeding (Natural Balance) and they get a half a can (6oz) a day each, divided into 2 servings (so 1/4 can each, twice a day). I use Wellness or Natural Balance wet. The 6oz/5.5 oz cans cost $1.30 at my local Petco, but I could probably get them cheaper in bulk on-line. They eat about a half a cup of the dry on most days between them both. They are both maintaining a good weight (they don't binge on the dry stuff) and there coats are shinier, they shed less, and there "eliminations" are healthier since they got off the SD dry and Friskies wet that the shelter had them on. I'm sure there are other less expensive foods for them, but $1.30 a day is affordable for me.
I know others will chime in, this is a favorite topic here.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Cool Cat

OMG I have a white cat like in your avatar, but Macy's eyes are the opposite of that cat!

Anyways, I feed Natural Balance dry cat food to Chloe, Buttercup, & Panther. Macy gets the canned allergy formula Venison & Green Pea.

Panther doesn't like canned food. I tried several different types. She turns her nose up to each and every one of them. lol. Never had a cat do that before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Cat Addict

You have to do a little bit of math when trying to figure the protein content (or any other nutrient) in canned food. The nutritional analysis of wet food is listed so that it includes all of the moisture in the food. (Actually, so does dry food, but since there is so much less moisture in dry food, what's listed on the package is a lot closer to the actual value).

So, to figure out the actual % of protein in a food, you need to take what's listed on the can and divide that by 100 minus the moisture content.

So, lets say you have a can of food that lists 9% protein with 78% moisture. Take 100 minus 78 = 22. Then take 9 (the nutrient % as listed on the can) divided by 22, which equals 0.41. Convert that to percent & you have the protein content on a dry matter basis (the real value) = 41%.

You can do this with any one of the nutrient %. To compare dry vs wet food side by side, you need to convert both to dry matter basis, as dry food does contain about 10% moisture.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

wow, and i've been going by the numbers and just taking them literally!

Nell- Thank you for clearing that up for me!! Now, I'm not huge on math, but could someone key me in on what sort of percentage of protein I should look for in wet food? I'll have to see what brands my local cat food store offers (All of their brands are guaranteed to at least be better than grocery store brands). At least now I know to look for around 9% in the wet food. I'll have to try out that formula.

Nito isn't picky, I can't believe your kitty turns his nose up to wet, whiteghost. How bizarre! Most of my cats would scarf a can of wet faster than you can say "here kitty!"

Smirkitty- I'm definitely going to try some wet food. Nito's eliminations, well, pretty much just reek. And he poops like twice a day! Gross!

So, should I stay away from brands like Iams, whiskas, and Fancy Feast (or other grocery store brands)? My cats at home in my parent's house, (Elfie, Rusty, Fella) have all grown up eating Whiskas, Kit'n'Kaboodle and their wet food is usually Whiskas and Fancy Feast. They use the bathroom outdoors, so I don't ever see their eliminations. But they are all perfectly healthy, have good weights, and seem lively and just fine. Elfie is 12 years old and is still active and doesn't show his age at all. I only want the best for my little Nito though
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 AM
Premier Cat

You've been given great advice so far.
It does seem like it would be a lot more expensive to feed wet, but honestly, I've found it isn't that bad. They get better nutrition from it and therefore eat less. When my cats were on dry, they were hungry ALL the time! But your cat will benefit from any amount of wet you can give her.
Personally, the only supermarket food I would consider would be kitty crack Fancy Feast, but it ain't cheap so, unless it's the only wet your cat will eat, it's hardly worth it. The rest are really too full of junk for me.
Prices vary so much from place to place but, if you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they have a pretty good food at a good price. Other foods, at least here, that are good and a little less expensive than Wellness, Prairie, Merrick, Innova and the like are, Eagle Pack, Solid Gold, Natural Balance and Nutro. I think any of these foods would have a good protein content.
Just shop around(even online). Rule of thumb: look for foods that have meat (not by products) as the first ingredient and low or no grains. Try to stay away from foods that have glutens, soy and artificial colors and flavors and in them and you should be fine.
I had the same experience as Smirkitty when I switched mine over to wet. Along with silkier fur, less shedding and poo, they also became much more active.
Happy hunting!

Victoria
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I do have a Trader Joe's! I will start my search there. Thanks for all the advice!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Cat Addict

So I just noticed you are also in WI. What city if you don't mind me asking? If you're anywhere near me I may be able to give you some tips on other places to look for good food
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I attend school at UW Madison. But I flutter between there and Janesville to visit my mommy and daddy hehehe.

By the way, fellow Wisconsinite.... you feelin' the cold yet?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 AM

I've seen a HUGE difference in my four cats since switching to wet. Silky fur, water cravings stopped, small poos, almost no shedding, and just an overall improvement in health.

I have pretty much started feeding exclusively Natural Balance, but I give them something else just for variety a few days a week. I get the Natural Balance for about .98 a can if I recall correctly, and many of the higher end foods fall in that price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page