I Need Some Bailout Money To Buy Cat Food! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I Need Some Bailout Money To Buy Cat Food!

We have 8 cats. All of them shelter rejects, cats that have been dumped and one feral kitty. They range in age from 8 months up to around 8 years old.

We now free feed them w/Natural Balance Reduced Calorie dry food.

Its costing us a ton of bucks and I would love to reduce the money we spend for cat food.

We do not have the time or inclincation to make our own cat food but any input on how to save some money would be much appreciated.

(You know we spend a lot of money on cat food when the place we buy it from gives me a parking space with my name on it!)

THANKS!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: I Need Some Bailout Money To Buy Cat Food!

I assume, based on the fact that you are feeding a reduced calorie food, that one or more of your cats are overweight. In that case, you can likely save money by switching to a regular calorie cat food, eliminating the all-day-kitty-buffet, and feeding portioned meals. You'll go through less food that way, you'll probably be feeding a better quality food, and your cats will be healthier once they achieve proper weights.

It's not difficult to switch free-feeders to scheduled, portioned meals. I did it with all 15 of my cats.

Laurie
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~

I was free feeding my cat for 4 years. When I brought her to the vet they said she needed too loose atleast 3lbs. So now I feed a little in the morning and at night. I have noticed the food does not go as fast and it is saving me a ton of money. She has lost almost a 1lb so the no more free feeding is working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

You guys are right. In the little research I've done in the last couple of days, the Kitty Buffet is not good for them or their human supervisors.

Feeding in the AM and then in the PM makes sense. Is that your suggestion?

Also - should we give them some wet food once in a while - like maybe in the evening every other day or .........??

Again - much thanks - maybe we can save that Bailout money for more derserving folks, like bankers and car manufacturers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Cool Cat

The more wet you can fit in to their diet, the better. They will be healthier, shinier, and probably happier too. Cats are notorious for being dehydrated, and this is due to a dry diet; cats just aren't programmed to drink enough water. So if you can, wet is wonderful for them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

I agree that canned food is definitely healthier for your cats, but it may not help much with your budget. Still, it is a lot closer to a natural feline diet than dry kibble will ever be. As mentioned, kibble tends to draw water out of the body which leaves the cat chronically dehydrated. That chronic dehydration can have devastating effects over the life of the cat's body and could potentially result in substantial vet bills later on. Just something to consider.

When I first switched my cats from free-feeding to scheduled meals, I fed them three times a day. I figured that'd make the transition easier than switching them to just two meals right off the bat. After a few weeks on three meals/day, I cut out the noon meal and took them down to two meals/day. It only took a week or so for them to adjust to losing the all-day buffet.

Since you are feeding both kittens and adult cats, you will need to be flexible in your feeding schedule. The kittens under 12 mos old should, of course, be eating a high quality kitten food, and they should be fed 3-4 times a day. You may also have adult cats with fast metabolisms who can't maintain adequate weight on just two meals a day, so you'll have to give them an extra meal, as well.

In my household, one of my adults, Footsie, has a very fast metabolism and has a difficult time maintaining weight during the summer when he prefers to spend almost all of his time outside. I feed him whenever I can convince him to come inside long enough to eat. The only time I can get him up to a healthy weight is in winter when he spends all of his time inside, lounging around.

My eldest cat, Billy, has both CRF and hyperT, so he gets fed anytime I can tempt him to eat.

Aside from those two, all of the other cats are currently on a twice daily meal schedule. But if one of the other cats required an adjustment in their food schedule, I'd be flexible to meet the animal's needs. With your eight cats, you may need to be flexible, as well.

Laurie
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you all very much.

Taking good care of our feline friends is more important than the $$$.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO

Even if you can't convince them all to switch to set meals at first, you could at least determine how much they should be eating and only set that amount of food out. Say half in the morning for them to graze on then half at night for them to graze on. Eventually they'll start to realize the food isn't always going to be there and from there you can work on feeding them individually and taking the food up after a set amount of time.

Wet food is also a great addition. The bigger cans you can buy the more economical it will be. An example - I just ordered a few cases of Wellness online. The prices per case worked out per can to be:
3oz can $0.96 or $0.32 per ounce
5.5oz can $1.29 or $0.23 per ounce
12.5oz can $2.08 or $0.16 per ounce

There are very few brands that come in the largest can - and they vary from 12-14oz. But in general I avoid the 3oz cans at all costs because they are sooooo expensive! I would also hold out on the big cans until you know your cats like the food though. Chances are, with 8 cats someone will like almost anything but its hard to say. And you'll probably end up having a few that won't like canned food at all.

Shopping in bulk online is another way to go. Look for sales and stock up. Petfooddirect.com usually has really good prices (you have to buy cans by the case though, so definately find something they like first!) and if you use the code wffpfd02 you get 22% off your order, which if you work it out right usually covers shipping and then some. It also depends on where you live. I didn't check that before I posted - its located on the east coast so if you're on the other side of the country shipping would kill you. There are other companies that people use over there though

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page