Mean cat, vets won't help him - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Mean cat, vets won't help him

I have a cat George that I adopted about 8 years ago. He was partially blind due to his previous owners not getting his eye infections treated. he developed scare tissue over his eyes. When I get him he was very mean. He now has to be by my side 24-7. He loves everyone that comes in and loves to be under your feet. He gets so happy he purrs so loud at night it will wake me up. He really is a happy cat and I think has a good quality of life.

My problem is when I take him to the vet he is so out of control. To the point they can't examine him let alone deal with his helath issues. He has a heart problems, teeth problems, and is allergic to everything including cat hair. I know he is allergic to a lot of things because after years of saying something is wrong I finally got a vet to do blood tests. He is on allergy shots now. I am now noticing that he seems to have problems with his hind legs. He limps a little but it doesn't seem to be hurting him enough to stop him from going up or down stairs or getting in bed with me. I am just so frustrated because I know if I take him to the vet they won't do anything because of his aggression. He has so many health problems and I am willing to pay the money to get them taken care of but they vet can't do many tests. Because of his heart problems they can't sedate him. What am I suppose to do. Sit and watch his health get worse and worse and not do anything? I have tried a lot of different vets. Some are willing to do somethings and others have flat out told me I won't examine your cat because I will not risk my staff being bit. Does anyone else have a very aggressive cat when you take them to the vet? I know he probably is getting arthriits in his hips. I would like them to do an x-ray but I know it won't happen, I know they won't be able to get him to lay still.

I know that people may not have advice on this situation. I am manily venting because I am so frustrated. This is my baby and I want to help him but I can't without him calming down. Sometimes I sit and look at him and think what is going to end his life is the fact he won't let the vets help him. I wish I could get him to understand so I could get the tests he needs and he could feel better.

Thanks for listening to my ranting.
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Re: Mean cat, vets won't help him

many vets are able to use an anesthetic gas in a box to get aggressive cats asleep without much risk. I'm not 100% that there aren't complications with heart problems, but I know we use it all the time and can't think of a single problem we've had.

You could look into vets that do house calls, but most aren't equipped to do much more extensive testing that you might need.

Call your vet and ask them about gassing him down. If they can't/won't call around to other vets. I understand full not wanting to risk injuries (to both staff and cat!!) but its not fair to your cat to refuse him medical treatment because of his attitude.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Cat Addict

Have you tried giving him a valium before the vet appointment? That shouldn't have any effects on his heart. Ask your vet about it.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Premier Cat

What about giving the vet staff valium before the kitty's appointment?

Just a side note; When I had to take Rusty (feral who collapsed on my patio and I cared for for only 6 weeks) for his euth appointment, I knew he would not be compliant and I went in and picked up some sort of pill sedative for him. It sort of knocked him for a loop and he was quiet, but when they attempted to give the euth shot he began to struggle with howling and yowling. They needed to cover his head with a towel to calm him enough to safely administer the shot.
Do ask your vet(s) what can be done so your kitty can safely be seen by vets.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I will check on if we could try the gas. One problem is I get different answers from different vets. I think they aer all good vets just different opinions on what is safe and what isn't. So I tend to go the safe route.

I looked into giving him something before though I don't know what it was, it was in pill form. It would sedate him. I looked into it because I am planning on moving across country and was going to fly with my animals. One vet told me he would be fine with taking it and I went to get a second opinion and that vet told me no way would it be safe to give him something to sedate him. I am not sure it it was valium they were going to give him.

When I take him they do try to cover him with a towel but they can never seem to hold him down even with the towel. One vet did get blood work done but it was a huge deal. To their surprise everything but the allergy test came back normal. They want to do more test but haven't been able to.

I don't want to put him to sleep anytime soon. He purrs a lot and seems happy. Sometimes I think I may be kidding myself because it is something I don't want to do. I don't know if I should leave things as they are because he seems happy, eats good though he does vomit alot his weight is stable or if I should try to push the vets to find out why he has so many problems.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

This has to be incredibly frustrating for you.

If I were in your shoes, I would be very concerned with the different opinions I had received.

I would want to know that the Vet who will treat my cat comes with references from other owners of very sick cats. There is a website, set up by people who have/have had cats with a very serious chronic kidney condition, kidney failure, of recommendations for competent Vets. For me, a Vets who has the knowledge, skills and the willingness to engage with cats like that would be a Vet I would choose.

There are some such Vets in Columbus who fit that criteria and listed on that site. Personally, I think I'd try "Cats Only Vets Clinic". Anyways, have a look here.

I think I would want to speak with the Vet first - your chance to interview her or him.

One suggestion I'll offer is the use of a cat sack...

Another is to make every effort to keep the Vet visit a pleasant experience...e.g. you said that he loves people. Well, how about an introductory visit to the new clinic when the focus would just be to "meet and greet"...I would try to prep him by using some Feliway, sprayed on the towel in his carrier...staff will need to be prepped for the visit and prepared with suitable offerings for the visitor (!), and everybody, including the Vet, will make a big fuss over him. And, all of that should be repeated when he goes for the consult appointment.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by marie73; 12-29-2015 at 02:17 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Stryker, Thanks for all the wonderful information. I am going to call the Cats Only Vet Clinic tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment for next Saturday.

The cat sack is a great product. I never seen that before. I am not sure I could get him in it. He gets aggressive if he feels threatened. I have a hard time giving him medication or trying to force him to do anything. I think it has to do with him being blind and his life with his past owners.

When I take him to the vet if I can keep him calm he is good. I use to be able to do that more but his patience the last year has gone down the tube. He even gets more upset at home easier then he use to. I am embarassed to say I did this but a earlier this year I took him to the vet and we had been waiting awhile and I was trying to keep him occupied so he would stay calm. Once he gets upset it is over, he can't/won't calm down. So if I can keep him calm they can sometimes examine him until he gets upset. So there was some dog treats in the room and I though oh maybe he will lick them but it at least will keep him occupied. And it worked except he ate it. But he stayed calm the vet got to examine him and then he started vomiting so that sucked. Dog treats are obviously not good for a cat's belly. If I could figure something out that would distract him and keep him calm it would be easier.

I will try the feliway. I tried the plug in feliways once at home just because he gets upset easily at home. It didn't seem to help but maybe the spray would be better and I know it is something that is safe for me to use with him.

Thanks again for all your suggestions they were all great and I am going to try them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page