Kitty has a cold - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Kitty has a cold

Othello seems to have a bit of a cold the past day or two - sneezing, trying to blow his nose, just generally kind of lethargic. He is still eating normally, and using the litter box, and we're trying to make sure he drinks (and increasing his wet food so he gets more moisture from the food). As long as he's eating and drinking, are we OK, or do we need to get him in to see the vet sooner rather than later? If it's viral, is there much the vet would even do at this point? And is there anything else we can do to make him comfortable? Hubby did bring him in the bathroom while I showered, to see if the steam would help.

Poor little guy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Re: Kitty has a cold

Just following up - we called the vet this morning and brought him in after lunch, since he's still feeling poorly. She said we were doing the right things (especially the more wet food), and that he's not dehydrated at this point, and gave us a lysine supplement gel to give to both kitties since Othello's had a few recurrences of these URIs in the nine months we've had him, and since Desdemona is exposed to his bugs. (For some reason, thankfully, Desi has not gotten sick at all!) Hopefully he'll feel better soon!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM

I am glad you took him to the vet. I hope he starts feeling better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Cat

He's starting to show a few signs of improvement - sitting up more, drinking more water, a little bit of gentle playing. And he did meow for his treat ball this morning, so maybe his appetite is coming back somewhat. He's still not quite himself, but hopefully on the up-swing!

He is really not a fan of that lysine stuff, though! I think the brand the vet gave us is Enisyl; it claims to be "highly palatable", since it's tuna flavored, and Desi is eating it happily with her wet food (she'll eat anything!), but he's turning up his nose at it and trying to eat around it. I'm not sure if it's a texture thing, or if things are tasting funny since he's congested, or what, but he does not care for it. And we're supposed to keep giving it to both of them until the bottle is gone, probably about three weeks. Any suggestions for how to get him to take it without a struggle?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 PM

I am guessing it is liquid right? Is there anything you can put it on your cat likes? I don't know how much you have to give though and if it would soak it up. Does he like real tuna you could mix it with? Any favorite food. My cats never fall for that trick. They always some how know and I have to hold them down to take their meds. I will grab them in a towel do it is harder for them to get away. Can someone else hold him while you stick in his mouth real quick? Good luck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Cool Cat

I get regular human tablets of uncoated L-Lysine at the drug store. I crush them and mix them into wet food. The cats either don't notice, or think it tastes delicious.

My experience with cat pastes and gels that are "highly palatable" is that its a hit or miss thing.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:29 AM

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54973
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

He is taking it OK now when we mix it into his wet food, so he can't eat around it. But if we decide to keep him on it long-term, after this bottle is gone, we might have to look into getting some of the human tablets and see how that works. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page