Vet suggested metacam... ???? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Vet suggested metacam... ????

I just got back from a second opinion on my Silver's paw, kidney, and low back problems. He reviewed xrays, radiology report, and took a very close look at her paw. Where she does hurt is on the actual pad, and there is a flaky, calous-like buildup there. He could do minor surgery, scrape off the excess, and possibly put one suture in to let it heal.

As far as kidneys, he said her BUN was only one point above normal, but we have two lab tests four months apart and both have a different "normal range" so on one it's normal, and on the other it's only one point off. Her creatinine is fine, and after going over it all with me, he said he's not convinced that she has any kidney problems at all. He does want to monitor it every 6 months, though.

As for the low back, she has spondylosis (degenerative disc disease) at L7-S1, with osteophytes and bone spurs, so that's probably why she isn't jumping up much.

So.... here's my question... he wants to try her on metacam for a week to see if that helps to reduce her pain. I'm not going to give it to her until I know more info on how this drug works and if it's safe. I'll spend some time on this forum and the Net researching it, but I wanted to know what others here think of metacam, if it's safe or not, and whether or not it would outweight any risks versus helping my kitty to not be in pain every day. Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? I don't want to give her a drug that could be harmful to her, but I also can't stand to see her in pain every day. I don't know what to do at this point.

Thanks!!!!!! I want my little girl to be happy and healthy and pain-free...

Andi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Re: Vet suggested metacam... ????

Forgot to mention... If I decide against the metacam (which it's looking like because of the kidney issues in 1/3 of the cats that use it!!!) what other SAFE pain relievers /antiinflammatories could I try for her?

Aaaaaargh!!! I'm so frustrated with this!

Thanks for letting me vent....

Andi
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

First, I wouldn't be concerned about the state of your cat's kidneys right now based on the test results. A one point rise in BUN is insignificant and can be caused by issues that have nothing to do with the kidneys. Creatinine is specific to kidney function, so it is much more useful for evaluating kidney function. If your cat's creat is within normal range, then I doubt you have anything to worry about in terms of your cat's kidney function.

That said, I wouldn't personally use Metacam on any of my cats, with or without current kidney dysfunction. There has been waaaay too much suspicion about Metacam's potential negative effects on feline kidneys. I just wouldn't risk it.

I don't know of any pain med or anti-inflammatory that is safe for use in a cat long-term. If I had a cat with chronic and degenerative back problems like your cat, I would probably be inclined to try an alternative vet who could perform acupressure, acupunture, or some other alternative treatment that may help. I would also be giving a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement daily.

I'm so sorry that you and your cat are having such difficulties. I do hope you can find a solution that can ease both of your pain.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks Laurie - I do give her daily treats that have glucosamine/chondroitin, same with myself since I have hip/knee/foot problems. I've slowly been trying to get her to eat her food mixed with Missing Link, to add a bit of omega-3, but she just refuses to eat anything with that in it.

We've made adjustments at home for her. We've moved some of her cat beds to lower spots so it's easier for her to get up and down. We have stools placed in spots where she likes to climb up, but has a hard time jumping down, so she has to take smaller jumps to get where she's going. We've changed how we play with her daily also, no more jumping up with feather wand toys or running after balls, but she LOVES to play with string and shoe laces while laying down, so our play area is now our bed where she can get exercise but not have to run or jump to get it. And of course, she gets TONS of TLC.

I've decided no on the metacam, not worth the risk at all. I don't know what a chiropractor could do for her, there is no way that an adjustment would help the osteophytes or bone spurs in her spine, and I'd be afraid that it could actually make it worse.

She still works with me every day, I've just added a foot stool so it's easier for her to get on and off of my desk. Nope... we're not spoiled at all, are we??? (Silver-Fuzzy is the gray one)

Ok.... I'm off to hug my little girl now

Andi
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Have you tried fish oil for the omega 3 fatty acid? Buy a bottle of fish oil gelcaps (if you don't already have them for yourself), then punch a hole in one with a pin and squeeze two or three drops into Silver's food every other day. Most cats like the taste of fish oil, so hopefully she'll eat it.

Chiropractic may not be able to do anything to help Silver, but acupuncture or acupressure might be able to help relieve her pain without drugs.

Laurie
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Banned

I think you made the right choice regarding Metacam. It's an effective pain-reliever and anti-inflammatory, but because of its risk profile, it's only for short-term use. And you're dealing with a chronic problem. So giving Metacam for a week isn't going to make any difference in the long run.

How do you think the glucosamine/chondroitin cat treats are working? That's what I was going to suggest before I read that you're already using it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Cat Addict

I would definitely pass on the metacam, the risk is just too high. The problem is that there are NOT any safe anti inflammatory medications on the market for cats. In fact, Metacam, in its injectable form, is the ONLY NSAID labeled for use in cats, and even then its a one time shot.

I have a cat with back pain issues, and he has done well on Cosequin Feline (A glucosamine chondroitin supplement formulated for cats) and Tramadol liquid. Tramadol is an opioid, its a little sedating the first few doses but that effect wore off after that. Its very effective in relieving pain with no long term side effects. And its non-habit forming. You can get it compounded in a flavor thats more palatable for the kitties.

Good luck to you!

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 AM
Jr. Cat

I know you have already decided against the Metacam, but I just wanted to say that I know personally someone who's cat was put on Metacam (for arthritis), and that cat passed away only 3 days later of kidney failure. I realize that may be an extreme case and the outcome will not always be the same, but this case really hit home for me simply because I knew the person. So, because of this, l think you are wise not to take the risk. I was thinking though, like Laurie, that something like accupuncture might be a good option. Just in case you are or become interested in finding a local practitioner, the Chi Institute (http://www.tcvm.com) might be a good place to start. I hope you are able to find some sort of solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page