PLEASE HELP! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

PLEASE HELP!

My dad found a black cat on our porch he is severly under weight and has a really infected wound that goes through his shoulder. We have been giving her Clavamox an antibotic for cats/dogs and have been giving her rhiymadal a pain med for animals.( We have all theses meds because my doggie had surgery a little bit ago and they gave us more than she needed) anyway we are also cleaning her wound with peroxide and we are taking her to the vet on Moday to get her even more help. The good thing is she is eating and drinking food and water and is very talkitve and gets around fine I am feeding her wet cat food so she won't be dehydrated. My question is does any body know if i should wrap her wound in gawz till monday so it won't get more infected. He had tags on put his owner said (when we called her) her cat was right next to her, I think she was lying and didn't want to take her to the vet. So we will probably be keeping her and will be taking her to the vet on Monday. Oh and is there anything we could do to make her feel comfortable with her wound.

Thanx
Devin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lucyhope2.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	856  

Click image for larger version

Name:	lucy.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	857  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to gaz23g
Re: PLEASE HELP!

if the wound is dry i would leave it uncovered, but if it is weeping try putting a mellanine pad on so it does not stick to it and if at all poss keep cat indoors. hope she's ok hugs to her

if music be the food of love why don't rabbits play banjos: The Rochdale Cowboy circa 1980
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

Poor little thing. Thank you for taking her in and helping her. Are you giving her the same dose of medicine that was prescribed for your dog? If you are, it may be too much for her. You may be able to do some searches online to find out the correct dose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for repyling... she is staying indoors because we live in WY and it like 32 below out , I will defiantaly look into getting that pad, We are going to take her to the vet and get blood work done and everything on Monday( I work for a vet so he will probla do everything he can anyway), I just hope everything we be fine she is the sweetest thing.

Devin
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Oh no I woudn't giver that much, I am being very carefull with what I give her and the amounts especally on the pain meds I only gave her a little square off the corner of the 75 mg pill, she will probaly get more meds on Monday.

Devin
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Premier Cat

Poor, sweet, kitty. I hope she recovers, she was very lucky to have found your family.
I agree, the owner was lying through her teeth. You found the collar with her name/number on the kitty. I wonder, if you could contact the authorities with that information and if she could be prosecuted? It may be more trouble than it is worth, but I just wonder...
Heidi

I would not use peroxide on a wound. Studies have shown that peroxide actually damages healthy tissue and slows the healing process. Nolvasan (chlorhexadine) is good for cleaning wounds and saline solution can be used to flush wounds, too. The link below also has advice to use a bleach(1tbsp)/water(1gallon) dilution.

*scroll down a little bit for the answer:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ask-Veterina ... -wound.htm

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Cat Addict

Good job to you Devin and your dad for helping this poor kitty. I am sorry her owner lied (although there might be another sad story there too - you never know). I am glad that people here at the Forum can help .

Keep us posted on how things work out!

Fran
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

It is extremely kind of you to have taken in this injured and apparently malnourished kitty, and I know you are trying to do everything possible to help her. Please, however, do NOT give her any more Rimadyl. Pfizer (the manufacturer of Rimadyl) states that Rimadyl must not be given to cats and that a vet should be called immediately if a cat has ingested Rimadyl. There is no pain reliever or anti-inflammatory that is safe to give to an emaciated cat unless under the specific instruction of a vet. Many meds that are perfectly safe for dogs can cause serious problems for cats.

As far as the wound is concerned, clean it with mild soap and water. As someone else mentioned, hydrogen peroxide is too harsh and can damage tissues and retard healing.

Clavamox is a good antibiotic, but again, the dosage would have to be carefully determined based on the weight, age, and overall condition of the cat. An emaciated cat is likely to be much more drug sensitive than a cat at a healthy weight.

If possible, I strongly recommend that you call your vet tomorrow morning at home and explain the situation so that he can guide you in the proper care of the cat until you can get her into the clinic.

I wish you all the best.

Laurie
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I thought that too about rimadal I wont give her anymore, and I am barly giving her any clavamox just to be on the safe side. I am going to make sure she gets to see the vet tommorw, I actully work at the vet I'm taking her to, so he'll problay see her as fast as he can. She is doing very this morning and seems more alert and active. Anyway I'll see to it she gets mild soap and water treatments on her wound and gets everything done that is possibal to make her healthy again. We plan on keeping her too.

Devin
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

She has a App with vet @ 3:45 today hopefully we can get her fixed up. I'll keep u posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page