Stuffy nose for almost 2 months - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Stuffy nose for almost 2 months

My hubby and I adopted a stray (we think he was pet that was abandoned by his previous owner less than 6 months before we took him in) middle of September. About 2 weeks after we got him we noticed he was really stuffed up and sneezy. I did some reseach online and everything said that with something serious they'd have discharge from their nose and/or eyes, be lethargic, stop eating, etc. Basically some other symptom or symptoms. I took him into the vet about a month ago for what seemed to be constipation or trouble urinating and the vet said to take him home and observe him for a few more days and then call her if it continued. Other than that she said he was fine. The straining didn't continue so I never called her back. But his stuffy nose is still there. It's kind of come and gone, even day to day, but sometimes it's pretty bad. He still plays with my husband (although just lately he has gotten more lazy), still uses the litter box regularly and still eats. Other than the stuffy nose and occasionaly wheezing/sneezing he acts normal. Should I take him in? Or is there something I can try before taking the time and money? Last time I took him in it was for nothing so I really would like to not repeat that. This is my first experience having a cat (I'm not a cat person, my hubby is) so I really have no clue about these things. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Cat

Re: Stuffy nose for almost 2 months

Your kitty's behavior sounds kind of like our Othello's. We adopted Othello this spring, and he's had the sneezies and occasional stuffiness off and on since we got him. The Humane Society told us when we got him that he might have an upper respiratory infection, and that seems to be the case - it's dormant most of the time, but flares up occasionally. He's mostly been OK, but we did have to take him to the vet this weekend when that URI flared up bad. He was sneezing and blowing his little nose a lot more than usual, really lethargic, and had a decreased appetite. The vet listened to his lungs, checked for dehydration, and gave us an antibiotic (to prevent any secondary bacterial infections in his weakened state) and a lysine (amino acid) dietary supplement that's supposed to help slow the virus's reproduction, and he's feeling a lot better now - still a little sneezy and stuffy, but much more active again. We're supposed to keep him on that lysine stuff for three weeks or so, until the bottle is gone, so we'll see if it cuts back on his everyday sneezing and stuffiness. If it does, we might just keep him on it on a regular basis.

How "just recently" has he gotten "more lazy" - just the past few days? I'd definitely be on the lookout for any changes in activity level or eating/drinking. I'm not sure if there's a test your vet can do for an upper respiratory infection if your kitty's not in the middle of an outbreak, but it might be worth asking about, so you'd know what you're dealing with.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 AM

I'm having similar congestion problems with one of the cats I adopted 2 Months ago. She otherwise fine, but sneezes up snot several times each day. other than increasing the humidity, I don't know much more I can do. I'm considering adding 100% pure Lysine supplement powder for horses to their diet, because the supplement for felines is way too expensive. Lysine is supposed to have decongestant benefits. I know many give 12mg of Benadryl to their cats to make them sleepy for grooming and transportation, but I wonder if that would give them temporary decongestant relief as well. I hope experts here can give me the pros and cons of attempting either off label strategy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by petspy
I'm having similar congestion problems with one of the cats I adopted 2 Months ago. She otherwise fine, but sneezes up snot several times each day. other than increasing the humidity, I don't know much more I can do. I'm considering adding 100% pure Lysine supplement powder for horses to their diet, because the supplement for felines is way too expensive. Lysine is supposed to have decongestant benefits. I know many give 12mg of Benadryl to their cats to make them sleepy for grooming and transportation, but I wonder if that would give them temporary decongestant relief as well. I hope experts here can give me the pros and cons of attempting either off label strategy.
I wouldn't try to give something that's formulated for horses to cats, not unless I knew for a fact that it wouldn't harm my kitties. I understand that a lot of people are having to tighten the purse strings, but I don't think I'd run the risk of using something that might be harmful to my babies. Petspy, I hope you compare both Lysine supplements to see if there's any chance of the horse supplement being too strong for your furries. You don't want to save a bit of money only to have to spend what you saved by rushing your babies to the vet for giving them something that may be too strong for them.

----------
Renée
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Cat Addict

My cat Tweezer has had a stuffy nose (among other problems) since we got him in September. A few weeks ago he began sneezing blood. My vet put him back on the Doxycycline and told me to get the baby nose drops that are just saline solution and use them. He is no longer sneezing blood but he is still stuffy. I e-mailed the vet this morning to see what the next step should be.

Lysine is only effective against the feline herpes virus which mostly affects their eyes. I mix lysine with my cats food every day. They sell a powdered kind on the internet that is flavored for cats.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Tom Cat

Your vet can run a test to see if your cat has the Feline Herpes Virus.

L-Lysine doesn't just help their eyes, the herpes virus is basically an upper respitory infection--so the L-Lysine (which is different than Lysine alone) will help all symptoms.

80% of cats are infected with feline herpes--they just don't all show symptoms--stress often brings them out. Stress is a big trigger for flare-ups in our house. Jack and Harley both have the virus.

I use the regular L-Lysine for humans for the cats--I take it everyday myself since I get cold sores (which is oral herpes). I just crush a tablet into their water.

Leslie
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM

it would make sense there would be an ordinary dry cat food
with extra Lysine amino acid supplements already baked in.
if anyone knows of such a product, please chime in here.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Tom Cat

my understanding is that cat foods do--it just isn't an amount sufficient enough to help cats with the herpes virus.

Leslie
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

So what I'm gathering is that it's most likely symptoms of the Feline Herpes virus showing itself and that L-Lysine really is the only way to treat it? A vet visit for me is $46, would it be cheaper to get some L-Lysine (someone referred to buying it over the net) and see if that clears it up? Or is it something that a doctor REALLY should check out? I'm not too scared that it's going to become life threatening (unless his symptoms drastically change) so I'm not worried about taking a little longer to get him to the vet if it means trying a treatment first that probably will work. He has just recently gotten more lazy, but he seems to be eating and drinking just fine. I'd really rather try the Lysine before taking him to the vet.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 03:11 PM

pure Lysine in moderate dosage cannot harm your cat.
(we should discuss a MG per cat Pound dosage here)
any Lysine the cat can't use will simply pass through
it's digestive and circulatory system under utilized.

however the Danger of off label dosing Lysine are any
additives that may be in the supplement from processing.
so if you can find something 100% pure and unprocessed
your cat should be safe. ironically, over priced Feline
Lysine probably has more flavoring and additives in it,
than pure human Lysine supplements do.

if after a Month the congestion symptoms have not
subsided, you should probably stop using Lysine and
see the vet after all, if congestion still concerns you.

before running out and buying anything, wait a few days
for cooler heads to chime in as this discussion evolves.

animal grade;

human grade;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page