I don't think she's eating... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I don't think she's eating...

Skylar's been super picky lately. She usually eats the first meal or two of a can pretty well, then starts snubbing it after a while (I can't believe I want her to eat the same thing more than 2-3 days in a row!)

She's also turning her nose up to foods she used to love.

But, even if she doesn't want it at first, she almost always goes in and eats at least half of it at some point.

Her last two meals were untouched. I just got my order of Wellness in today and she was due for a new can of food for dinner. I believe she LOVED Wellness last time I had some which was a while ago. Wanted nothing to do with dinner.

Now, normally I wouldn't worry about it too much. But what really got me was she goes completely NUTS for her nightly CET chew. Its our bedtime ritual and she'll come running from the other side of the house when I shake the cookie jar. She came last night but it took her several minutes to decide she wanted to eat it. I just got home from work tonight and there was kibble on top of the dryer. She doesn't get kibble as part of her daily meals, but I use it as treats. Well, that and my mother gives her some whenever she goes in the laundry room (I keep the cat food in there). She's a kibble addict and will usually come running and scream and climb you until she gets it. So the fact that there was kibble uneaten on the dryer is worrying me.

She's acting fine. Just scooped the boxes this afternoon and she's peeing and pooping normally. No vomiting. No nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm going to double check with my mom in the morning. Its just possibly that she's been eating a lot of dry food while I'm not around (to yell at my mom) or she's eating lots of whatever else she decides to give her. But its just really unlike her to leave a crumb of kibble behind... and she didn't even ask for her bedtime chew tonight

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Re: I don't think she's eating...

When Cleo wasn't kneading me at night or wanting her treats (she's a treat FIEND), or even wanting kibble (ditto), it turned out she was just in a little funk and it only lasted a couple days. I know seeing Skylar NOT go nuts over her treats or kibble is shocking, but it might just be nothing. Of course, I'm someone who freaks over every little thing so I understand your worry.

I hope she's back to old herself soon.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 05:42 AM
Premier Cat

Miss Baby will go through exactly what Marie described- a funk. She will not eat right, will be really picky, often she will even be needier than normal. Is it possible they are having a touch of kitty PMS?

I hope that Skylar wakes up this morning and starts yelling at you for her breakfast.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Not eating for more than 24 hrs merits an automatic trip to the vet in my household. You know your cat, and if her behavior is "off", then there's something wrong. Hopefully it's nothing more than a mild digestive upset that'll pass on its own, but if it's more than that, the longer she doesn't eat, the worse the potential prognosis for her. Cats who don't eat are at high risk of developing hepatic lipidosis, and that alone is more risk than I'm willing to take before I'll seek out a veterinary opinion.

I hope your girl is OK.

Laurie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I didn't even bother with canned food this morning - just went straight for the kibble. Two different kinds and she wanted nothing to do with either.

Just talked to my mom. First, she wasn't sure when she saw her eat last... then it came to her. She DID have a handful of kibble last night... ok... maybe two handfuls of kibble but she didn't quite finish the second one I believe her words were "attacked" the kibble.

So she's definately not herself but she IS eating.

I think its a combination of things. Its cold... she's been a little mopey and when she finds a nice warm spot she stays there for a very long time. Plus, my grandmother has been here and while she doesn't really seem generally bothered by her (didn't stop her from jumping up on the dining room table in the middle of our dinner to check out what was going on) its still something different that she's having to deal with.

She's sitting on her harness outside. Its cold, but she's got a sunny spot on a bench she likes and she's been pretty content out there for a while. I'm hoping some fresh air and stimulation will get her to cheer up a bit.

Jessie

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

She was perkier today. We were eating dinner and she was all over the dining room, stole my chair when I got home, climbed onto the table several times (just to check it out, not for the food) and finally settled in my lap for a while.

However, she wants nothing to do with the canned food. Hoping it was just pickiness I got a can of Merrick because she always likes the Merrick. She won't go near it.

However, while she isn't interested in just eating kibble... she will eat it if we play "chase the kibble" where I throw a single piece across the floor, she chases it then eats it. Got maybe 1-2 tablespoons in her.

She also had a little bit of loose stool this afternoon.

I'm hoping its just a stomach bug. I'm getting some new probiotics tomorrow. If she's not looking better I may have to bring her in to work.

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page