For those who feed both wet and dry... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

For those who feed both wet and dry...

I switched all four of my furkids over to wet food a few months ago and noticed a huge improvement in their health. The shedding stopped, and they just look great and act better too.

Three of them seem to be doing fine weight-wise on the portions I am giving them, but my fourth cat feels too skinny and seems to be hungrier than the rest. Financially, things are tight (I'm a full time student so we are living on just the hubby's income), and buying more food would be tough. As it is we spend about $30-$35 every two weeks.

So, I am debating giving them their wet meals as usual and then adding a meal of dry food in the afternoon or evening. My question to those who feed both wet and dry is:

1. Have you noticed that it isn't as effective as controlling shedding as all-wet?
2. Will their thirsts increase again or will the wet meals provide enough water to offset the effects of the dry food?

I want them to have what is best for them but I also want them to be satsified too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: For those who feed both wet and dry...

Rather than going back to dry, I recommend you simply feed your too-thin cat an extra meal of canned. Just stick him/her in your bathroom or bedroom with the door closed to eat the extra meal without being bothered by the other cats. One extra meal a day for one cat wouldn't add much to your feeding expense, and it'd avoid any problems that may arise with the reintoduction of dry food.

Laurie
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

I think there would be mutiny if the other three saw me take out a can and they didn't get any!! And trust me, there would be no hiding it from them. They totally know the sound of the clank of their dishes, the slide of the drawer I keep the cans in, and the smell of food.

I would feel downright cruel by giving one cat a meal and the others didn't get any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

Mutiny? What are they going to do, make you jump off a plank into your bathtub? LOL!

Your other cats won't hate you or go on some sort of affection strike just because you give one of them extra food. Trust me. I have fifteen cats who get fed portioned meals twice a day. One of the cats, Billy, is CRF and hyperT and requires multiple feedings throughout the day. Another cat, Footsie, has a fast metabolism and requires a third meal at midday. I just stick Footsie in the bathroom with his lunch each day. With Billy, I stand nearby and make sure none of the other cats bother him anytime he's eating. Would the other cats steal Billy's food if they thought they could get away with it? Sure. Do they hold a grudge because I won't let them do it? No.

You need to consider what is in the best interest of all of your cats. Three of your cats are doing very well on canned food, so keep them on canned food. The fourth cat is too thin, so feed him more. It really is as simple as that.

Laurie
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Is the thin cat getting his fair share at mealtime or is one (or more) of the others bullying him away. How about just giving him more at mealtime and if the others bother him, try putting him in the bathroom until he finishes.

I do feed wet and 1/8 cup each dry per day. Maggie's coat is gorgeous, the vet was ecstatic about it when she went in for a check up last month. Very little shedding. Kobi's coat has never been great, but it's better on the good food, but he does have some shedding and dandruff. I'm considering an Omega-3 supplement for the winter for him. Holly leaves tumbleweeds all over the place, it comes with the territory with a Maine Coon. But her coat is very, very soft and shiny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, he's getting his share. I separate the greedy pigs so everyone can eat in peace.

But, I answered my own question. This afternoon I gave them all 1/8 cup of dry food for lunch that I had onhand. Starting about two hours later, they all started lining up at the water dish and have been visiting all evening. So much for wet food providing enough water to keep the thirst at bay. So, the dry meal idea is out.

One good thing was they seemed more full and satisfied. They didn't even ask for dinner at 5:00 and slept right on through until I called them for dinner.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

The moisture in the wet food isn't going to compensate for the dry food, so yes, they need to drink water if they get dry food.

A cat's digestive system is "designed" to run optimally on ~70% moisture (which is what a small rodent is composed of). Most wet foods are about 70% water. So there isn't extra water in the wet food, it just right.

Dry food is only about 10% moisture. So to compensate for the missing 60% a cat needs to drink 1.25 cups of water for every cup of dry food they eat (I can do the math for you if you really want to see it). So, since you gave 1/8 cup dry, they need to drink over an ounce of water to compensate. It's actually a good thing that they lined up at the water bowl after eating the dry...it means they'll stay better hydrated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

No no, I don't need to see the math, I trust you. That all makes sense. All I needed to see was them drinking.

Oh, and it's funny how quickly I forgot the smell of dry food poops.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 06:23 PM

I used to only feed my cat dry food, then I heard something about wet food, so I started feeding her wet food. However, the big thing about feeding cat wet food is "cats don't drink much water that they should, so wet food can help them get some water from it" My cat loves water, she drinks about 1-2cups water a day (only feeding with dry food) I tried to feed her wet food, she drank less water, normal. But the wet food just costed me too much. I can get a good grain free food, such as Taste of the Wild or Nature's Variety for about $11-14 and last a month or so. The wet food costed me about $60 a month (she only ate(was interested) the expensive stuff =[ made me poor). Also, while me cat was having wet food as her meals, she pooped and farted a lot. If the water plays a big part in wet food, and my cat seems like has no problem about drinking water, I just go for dry food. (I give her wet food 1-2 times a week) I am not against about feeding wet food, but my money budget just can't allow me to feed her high quality wet food.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM

You said you answered your own question but I just wanted to say I am the same way. I feel bad if I give one animal something and not the other. They know the sounds and it makes me feel bad. I guess you can tell who is the boss, not me the animals. lol Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page