Important Question About Neutering! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Important Question About Neutering!

So Stuart is 5 months old, and will be 6 months old on December 26. My husband and I are leaving for about 3 weeks on December 17. We've got some good friends who love cats who will be stopping in to take care/play with Stuart while we're gone.

My dilemma is, we need to get him neutered, and right now is an ideal time financially. I've never had a male cat before, and I don't know when they typically start spraying, but I would like to get him fixed before that happens! I'm also not sure how long it takes a male cat to heal from being neutered. One veterinarian told me two weeks, which sounds a little long, but I really have no idea.

So do you think it would be better to get him neutered before we leave or after? I don't want to leave if he's still going to be healing, but I also don't want him to start spraying....and like I said, it's ideal to do it right now as far as money goes. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Important Question About Neutering!

I would think if you could get him neutered before next Wednesday (10th) he should be healed sufficiently for you to be able to take your trip without worries. However, I would leave your contact number(s) and the vet's phone number in a place the cat sitter can find it in an emergency and let your vet know you will be out of town and that person has permission to bring the kitty to them for treatment.

A male neuter is less invasive than a female spay, and once the outside of the scrotum sack has closed over (3-5 days) and begun healing, recovery is very quick from that point on...
If you cannot schedule the neuter by that time, consider paying the vet for the surgery before your trip and scheduling it for after you return.
Heidi

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Tom Cat

I was a nervous wreck when Jack was getting neutered. I worried over nothing!

He stayed the night at the vet and when I went to get him he slept the whole way home--but as soon as he saw daddy and that he was home and was he little 4 month old self. We opted against pain meds and the e collar--he did great, we did keep him in the bathroom contained when we weren't around to keep him a little safer and calmer.

It's crazy to think it was a year ago this week that he was neutered--he's gained 6 lbs since then!

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Heidi, if it can be done a week or more before you go, it should all work out fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page