Bottled water or tap? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Bottled water or tap?

I just read something in another forum (a dog forum) that made me think. Someone had advised against using bottled water for pets because tap water has floride added to the water, which is good for the teeth. I've been giving my kitten bottled water, since that is what I drink myself, but I'd never thought about the floride issue. I know cats don't drink as much as dogs, so it probably doesn't matter as much either way...but what type of water do you use for your cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

Re: Bottled water or tap?

You know ... honestly if tap water is good enough for me, its good enough for my cat. I know some people only give cats bottled water but - personally - I think its a waste of money.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Premier Cat

Actually, fluoride and chlorine, which are in most tap waters, are toxic to cats. Granted, it's in very small amounts but some studies have shown a possible link to certain health issues with cats but I can't remember which. Also, if you have hard water and a cat prone to crystals, that can be a real problem.
Since reading up on the possible health risks, I give mine bottled water.
Of course then you have to worry about what kind of plastic containers the water comes in...it's exhausting!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

I give mine bottled water. The tap water here tastes and smells like dirt! I add CET (dental additive) to their water. I never saw them drink water before I did that. It doesn't have any smell that I can detect, but they sure drink their water now.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Tom Cat

I used to give Sebastian only bottled water because I sure as heck don't drink Chinese tap water, and I didn't want him drinking it either. We had a water cooler set up at our old apartment and I'd always fill his bowl from that. Surprisingly, he didn't like it! He preferred to try and get into the toilet or sink for a drink, so I used to mix water in with his food so he'd be taking some in. Now I live in a flat with a water filtration system, so we both drink filtered tap water and Sebastian drinks a whole lot more water now. He just prefers the taste of the tap water, I guess.

Robin and...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Tom Cat

Not all tap water has fluoride--my aunt has to give her kids fluoride supplements because their tap water does not.

Leslie
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Marie, do you think that there is something about the additive that makes the water more attractive to the cats? I was thinking about getting it, but I have literally seen my kitten drink from the dish ONCE in the entire time that I've had him, and it was the night after he was vaccinated so I think something about the vaccinations just made him really thirsty. If you think it makes your cats actually drink more water, though, maybe I'll try it! Is it the aquadent CET product?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Newkitty5 - is your kitten on a wet food diet for the most part? If so, I wouldn't worry about the water issue - as your little furry will be getting most of its water requirements from the food.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Cool Cat

How does the dental additive work?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

It's C.E.T. AquaDent, you add 1 tsp. to 1 pint of water. It's supposed to help fight against plaque (along with brushing) and freshen their breath. I can tell you it works on their breath, because I share a pillow with Cleo. I know I almost never saw my girls drinking water before I started using it, which is actually why I put off adding it to their water for so long, but Cleo's lovely breath spurred me into trying it. Now I saw all four girls drinking water every day.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page