Cat food index - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Cat food index

I thought we could try to get together a list of cat foods and their prices because there are so many choices of varying quality and prices. So list the food, it's form (wet or dry), it's size (what size bag or can you are talking about) and it's price at your store plus whatever notes you have about it like the quality you consider it, how the cats likes it etc.

All from the same small local pet store:
CANNED:
California natural- 13.2 oz., $1.79- contains fish (whitefish, herring) and brown rice but I still think it's a pretty good food. The venison formula smells awful!

Innova- 5.5 oz., $1.19- contains fish (herring) and brown rice, I think it's a good food.

By Nature: 6 oz., $1.59- Grain free, Fish free, not full of fruits and veggies and organic, can't get much better than that! I'm amazed that I had not heard of it before.

Blue Spa select: 5.5 oz., $1.39- Lots of fruits and veggies as well as sweet potato and brown rice. no fish but salt is pretty high IMO. Not the best but not awful by any means.

Avoderm: 5.5 oz., $1.19- contains "ocean fish" and an unspecified ingredient ("kidney"), contains oat bran and rice flour and salt is pretty high on the list for me. I'd rather not feed this one but it's not awful, the only "read flag" item is the unspecific "kidney".

Innova Flex (new): 5.5 oz., $1.39- contains potato starch and oat fiber some fruit but not tons. It says it's a "stew" so I'm assuming it has lots of broth and is not pate, I'll tell you when I feed it.

Newman's own: 5.5 oz., $1.49- uses organic chicken, contains oat bran and brown rice as well as ocean whitefish. I was expecting it to be low quality so I was surprised that it was not bad at all, quite good actually. Can be found in some grocery stores, Trader Joes, they may be cheaper there.

EVO (95% meat): 5.5 oz., $1.29- cheaper than I expected, it's one of the cheapest on my list. Grain free, fish free, not full of fruits and veggies. Awesome food along with By Nature as the best on my list. i have heard some cats find it too rich and will vomit it up, I have not yet fed it.

DRY:
Before Grain: 3.3 lbs., $9.99- Grain free but does contain Potato and sweet potato, a few fruits (I count two but may have missed one). It's a pretty good food but my cats did poorly on it, they had bad poop and coats. They thought it was the greatest tasting food ever though.

California Natural: 5lbs., $14.99- Single protein source, contains brown rice and rice, no fruits and veggies. My cats like the taste (like BG better though, i think they liked the smaller kibble) and their poops improved on it. Neko's coat has however stayed poor and now has dandruff. It's a pretty good food.

******THIS IS BASED ON "CHICKEN" OR MAINLY CHICKEN FORMULATIONS, INGREDIENTS VARY WITH FORMULA, ESPECIALLY FISH CONTENT, PRICES WILL ALSO VARY BY STORE******

I am currently trying to find a wet food mine will eat and that s why I have so many cans. The only (wet) ones I've tried are regular Innova and California Natural. They did not really like them but ate them very, very, very reluctantly over a (too) long time period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 06:40 PM

Re: Cat food index

Thanks for putting all that together. I am looking at changing my cats food to something healthier then grocery store bought food so this list is very helpful.

Thanks Amy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I'm glad it helps, please everyone, add your own foods!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Cat Addict

Just some comments -

Organics By Nature is one of our favorites, Gracie loves it! We also give Evo 95% venison, and Evo 95% duck. She has gotten used to the richness, and is fine with those in her rotation. Big time purrs for Evo. These two brands are great because they are 100% meat, no fillers.

Alternate brands we feed her include Evanger's two Organic flavors, Braised Chicken, and Turkey and Butternut Squash ($1.69 or so). I am glad they are organic, but they do have non-meat ingredients - brown rice and squash, respectively. She tends to put on weight easily, so I try not to feed these back-to-back because of the extra carbohydrate fillers.

For variety I like to also rotate in occasional 3-oz tins of other flavors - Natural Balance Chicken and Liver Pate ($.95, has carrots and eggs), AvoDerm Select Cuts Chicken Chunks Canned Cat Food ($.85, just chunks and broth), Merrick B.G. (Before Grain) Quail (about $1 each, just chunks with watery broth, has no taurine or any additives at all, so it is not a good food without supplementation) .

Fran
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:13 PM

Fran, Did you feed your cats venison and duck from the start? I am just asking because I have a cat with allergies and tried I think it was science diet in those flavors and they wouldn't touch them. They love sea food and I was wondering if you switched your cats from other flavors or if they were on those from the start. If you switched how did you do it and get them to eat it?
Thanks Amy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Cat Addict

Gracie went from Iams Hairball dry (what she got at the breeders) directly to canned chicken and turkey flavors in various brands first, and then tried duck, which she liked, then venison. Now most of her diet is poultry, with duck and venison as secondary. I think the key is that she has never had fish, which has such a strong and appealing smell.

Are you just aiming to move away from fish? Evo makes a 95% chicken, too. I bet it is good. We don't buy it since she eats plenty of chicken already, but knowing how the other flavors are (very rich smelling) it may be a way to transition to foods without fish...

Fran
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Tom Cat

Canned
Nutro MAX cat Gourmet Classics 3 oz $0.68 cents (chunks and gravy, there are like 15 flavors I won't list) no by products decent cost, often of sale, my boys love it

Nutro MAX cat 5.5 oz $0.82 cents (pate only, 4 flavors oceanfish, turkey and giblets, chicken and lamb and chicken and liver) no by products, often on sale, my boys loved it for 6 months now they won't touch it

Authority (Petsmart brand) 6 oz $0.68 cents (pate only 6 flavors) no by products, my boys love it

Dry

Nutro MAX adult chicken--16 lbs $20.99 (mid grade food) the boys have done great on it often on sale and Nutro gives lots of coupons

Taste of the Wild- 15 lbs $23.99 grain-free (starting our switch now--Jack has been begging me daily since the samples came 6 weeks ago for this food)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Banned

I meant to suggest a whiile ago that we have a sticky listing good quality cat food and where perhaps to get it. Someone could do 'US cat food', someone 'UK cat food' and so on as of course different parts of thw world will have different products.

The number of people who ask about cat food recommendations would, in my opinion, certainly make this worthwhile.

Of course, deciding what foods are 'good' might be a interesting topic of discussion
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Just wanted to update that Innova Flex is indeed chunks of chicken in a gravy, the actually sort of liked it but had trouble picking up the chunks, they stuck to the plate a little and for some reasons my cats won't use their teeth to pick up wet food.

Quote:
of course, deciding what foods are 'good' might be a interesting topic of discussion
Yeah, that is why I think people should list any foods they have that they *think* is good but leave some notes about things like grain content, fruit and veggie content, how there cats did on it etc. and let others decide for themselves if the food is any good.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Premier Cat

I would add Trader Joe's, which is only 59 cents for a big can. Their food was analyzed here on the Forum as being premium, but just barely. That worked for me, since it's the only wet food Murphy will eat.

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page