Need help managing diabetes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Need help managing diabetes

Hi. My 18 year old cat, Sylvester, was diagnosed with diabetes over a year ago. I had him on Lantus insulin, and within 5 days he went into remission. I feed him canned food only, and everything seemed fine. Then the night before last I noticed he was drinking more than usual. I have a glucometer and know how to home test, and his BG was 19.3, I think that's over 300 in US conversion. I took him to the vet and found out he has a mild UTI. He got an injection that's suppose to last for 2 weeks to take care of the UTI. I was wondering, is this the reason he went out of remission? If so, when the UTI starts to heal, will his BG go down by itself?

I have a vet that's pretty difficult to deal with. She told me not to put him on insulin for a few days to see if his BG will go down. But I can tell he's uncomfortable, and want to put him on insulin today. Lantus worked very well for him last time, but this vet wanted to put him on Caninsulin because that was the insulin of her choice. I explained to her that I wanted him back on Lantus since it worked well with him, and she got pretty uptight about it. She said she would try to order some in. I called her again today and told her I could buy the insulin somewhere else so she didn't have to bother ordering it for me. I asked her what dose she thought I should start him on, and she insisted on 2 units twice a day. Now I know that is too much for Sylvester. The last time I gave him 1 unit when his BG was around 15, his BG dropped almost instantly, and he had a mild hypo attack. I told her this, and she got mad, thinking I was questioning her judgment, and told me to do whatever I wanted, then pretty much hung up on me. Do you think I should have just followed her advice, or should I just find a new vet who might be more flexible in working with me to bring Sylvester back into remission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Need help managing diabetes

Ugh! A difficult situation.

Sounds like your vet is too hard to work with, and you should look for another one! In the meantime, do you have a good relationship with anyone in the front office or with any of the technicians? Maybe you can at least talk to them about the whole situation, and then you can make a decision about staying with your vet or finding a new one. And they might be able to give you some insight into why your vet was snippy, if she was, maybe there was something going on that would explain it....

Good luck! I hope someone else can give you advice about your kitty's diabetes issue, too.

Fran
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I think I will start bringing my cat to the other vet clinic when it comes to diabetes problems since this vet just doesn't seem to know what she's doing when it comes to diabetes. She also doesn't care what the owners of the pets think. I know the doctor at the other vet clinic is much more knowledgeable about diabetes than she is.

I do have a good relationship with everyone else at the vet clinic, but if I say something to them about her, she will most likely hear about it which will cause some awkward situations.

My kitty is so sick now, and neither vet clinic is cooperating to give him the insulin he needs. One needs to order it in so I can only get it tomorrow, and the other one wants me to bring him in to see the vet first, which would only happen tomorrow too. *sigh* Meanwhile my poor kitty is drinking like crazy and can barely walk! He would be feeling so much better if I could just get the insulin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Premier Cat

My sister has an alarm that alerts her every 12 hours,to give her cat insulin. It plays 'blue skies,smilin at me...'
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM

http://www.felinediabetes.com and Janet & Binky's pages are invaluable resources for people living with diabetic cats.

(My cat doesn't have diabetes currently so I can't give you first-hand help, but I'm working hard to prevent diabetes and kidney disease and slim the beast down, so that's why I've become such an advocate of those sites.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page