oliver is dying,advice please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

oliver is dying,advice please

oliver is 10-14 yrs. old, his stomach bloated and he gained 4 lbs. the vet thought it was congestive heart failure and put him on two types of meds, one was to get all the fluid out of him. after one week he has become worse so back to the vet. they drained the fluid and then examined it and found cancer. it has spread throughout his body and we were given pain meds for him, he just lies there and will cry out at tmes. the vet has suggested that we put him to sleep because he only has maybe three months left but they wont be quality months. what would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Re: oliver is dying,advice please

Having not had to make this decision for myself, I hesitate to advise anyone else, but it sounds like his quality of life is very poor, and because of that, so is yours right now seeing him like this. I wouldn't put it off. I'm so very, very sorry that all of you are going through this.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Premier Cat

What would I do?
If my cat is not in pain and still enjoys life, I allow them to stay with me as long as they feel they are able. However, with a diagnosis of cancer and the cat appearing miserable and in pain, I would opt to immediately help the kitty to The Bridge with euthanasia to free them from their pain.
Doing this is NOT a failure to love or care for your kitty, it is actually one of the most kindest things we can do for them by preventing further suffering even though we know doing so will just about kill us and our own hearts will ache with the loss.

My kitty Mousie has cancer. She has lost so much weight, and she was a tiny cat to begin with. She is still enjoying herself, snuggling, purring and such...but she is constantly hungry because the cancer is eating her faster than she can eat food to sustain herself. She is losing the battle. I am calling tomorrow to make a euth appointment for her. She isn't in pain, but she is slowly 'starving' in front of me, and today she has only been able to keep down about half of what she has eaten. I will help her to The Bridge because as this disease progresses it will deteriorate her quality of life. I think I would rather let her go before she becomes truly miserable.

I'm sorry you are having to make this decision for your Oliver. Remember the great life you gave him and eventually the sorrow of loss will lessen and you can think of him with a smile.
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Cat Addict

I'm sorry you are going through this. Having lost my dear cat of 15 years quite recently, I know how much it hurts...
From what you describe, it sounds like Oliver's quality of life at this point is not good. It sounds as if he is in pain, and if I was in that situation, I would make to decision to have him put to sleep sooner rather than later. His quality of life is only going to diminish from this point on, and if it were me, I would not want him to be in pain and suffer.
Its terribly painful to watch them slip away... but I think you'll know in your heart when its time to say goodbye. Making that decision to free them of their pain and suffering when the time comes is one of the most unselfish and kind things you can do in the end.

(((hugs)))
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:08 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. I had to make that decision back in September for Lucy, my 10 year old "baby." It was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life but she was deteriorating right in front of my eyes in a couple of days time. As soon as we noticed her sleeping a lot one day & noticing that her eyes didn't look so good, we took her to the vet the next day & was pretty much told that w/ her condition (rare type of diabetes & kidney problems) that she didn't have much time & they never saw a case as bad as hers & they could try to treat her but didn't think she'd respond & suggested Euthanasia (such a horrid word yet I think it truly is an act of kindness & love though I couldn't see it clearly at the time b/c I wasn't ready to say goodbye, I never would've been). I came home early that day to see her (a couple of my friends took her in for me) & she looked so much worse than the night before... I hated to see her suffer & decline so rapidly in front of my eyes. She was no longer herself, couldn't drink water even though she tried, she wouldn't eat... I wasn't given a time frame though, I just knew she was going to go soon & was miserable. It's a decision that you will have to make on your own since you know your baby better than anyone else does.

There's a poem under "The Rainbow Bridge" topic called "If It Should Be." I found this after the fact & I hoped Lucy felt that way about what I had to do. Maybe you should take a look at it if you have time. It may help.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~

I had a Golden Retriever that had cancer as well. The vet said that we will know when the right time will be to put him too sleep. When we noticed he was laying down all the time and looked miserable, we knew it was time. It was so hard on us but we knew it was the best tihing we could do for him.
It is a very hard decision but in your heart you will know when the right time is.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry this is happening. Many of us have lost our kitties in a very similar way -- quick onset of a problem, having to think the unthinkable with little or no warning. In our case, the whole onset and end happened within 11 days, and when the cat was only 3 years old.

It does sound like, from what you've said, that it might be time. I know my husband and I agreed when we first got a cat that you don't treat a cat for cancer.

Since losing Rookie earlier this year, I've had a couple thoughts that kind of help me. Let me see if I can write this in a way that makes sense. First, I tell myself -- it's not their fault they have shorter lifespans than we do. They just happen to be the species with the shorter lifespan, so the burden will almost always fall on us to be the ones to grieve over them, and not vice versa. Secondly, by being the one left behind -- which I'm totally convinced is harder than being the one who dies -- we're kind of taking one on the chin to spare them from having to do it. Think of taking one for the team. You're taking the very rough road of being the one to endure the loss so they won't have to. It feels kind of honorable to me.

Please let us know how things are going. Again, I'm very sorry.

Holly and Murphy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Oliver made the decision for us. Right before the entire families eyes he died. He died the same day the diagonis was made. The house seems lonely, hard to fathom since their are 5 humans here and 4 cats and one dog. Olivers passing makes two furbabies within 5 months that have died. I want 2008 to be over with.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Premier Cat

I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page