How much? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat

How much?

Because of Syble's condition both cats get wet food only with moist treats at night.

We have been giving them half a can each (the small cans not the large) in the morning and in the afternoon. And before we go to bed we give them several moist treats.

Well they are about 23 months old now, **** lets just say 6 months old, and tonight they just started screaming at us for more food.

So now we are wondering, they are both very active little kitties, about how much should they be fed now? Obviously that half a can day and night just isnt working any more. But we cant leave a constant supply of food out either (dry foodd will be detrimental to Syb's health) I mean unless you guys know where we can get "MOIST" kibble, syble would need her stool softener more often but it would solve the hunger problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Re: How much?

So they're each getting 3 oz. of food a day, plus a treat?

At two years old, they sound like they're still as active as my twins and they may need more food than that. May I suggest a dinner-time meal? Split another can between them, then still give them their snacks at bedtime. Going from lunch one day to breakfast the next morning without a real meal is a long time, especially if they're active.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

years? no they are 6 months old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

I saw "23 months" and "6 months" - sorry.

Six months old? You should probably DOUBLE the food you're giving them then. Or start out with the dinner meal and see if that satisfies them. Kittens can be fed all they want, basically. My girls are 1-1/2 years old and still chase each other and run around like little maniacs and burn off every calorie they eat.

Pictures?

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

OH! that was my mistake, i ment 23 weeks not months. XD

I have pictures posted up in the meet my kitty section.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

OMGosh! You have crazy Syble!!!! That picture still makes me laugh!!!

She's very slender, you can surely feed her all she wants.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

3 oz of wet food a day is serious underfeeding for the vast majority of adult cats and 6 month old kittens should be eating more than an adult. Adults on an all wet diet should be getting a 5.5 oz can per day (of course it varies a bit, but this is a good baseline). I'm surprised they haven't chewed off your nose in the middle of the night .

Most 6 month old kittens should be eating 7-9 oz of wet food per day.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Cat

they get more than 3oz of wet food a day the cans are 5.5oz eachs so they each get 5.5 a day, but i do see your point, they were both given a full can each this morning, we are planning on getting the large cans shortly to split between them.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Oh good! You hadn't corrected Marie when she asked if they were 3 oz cans, so I assumed that's what you were feeding. Personally, I would go with splitting their food into 3 meals a day instead of giving them larger portions at each of 2 meals.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

We would, but no one is home at mid day which is why we switched to 2 larger meals. I was able to before but my work schedul changed radically so i am no longer able to do so.

ETA: I wasnt sure how big the cans were i spent 5 minutes looking for the size!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page