HELP! Cat Ate 6 Inches of Her Cat Charmer - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

HELP! Cat Ate 6 Inches of Her Cat Charmer

Yes, she was unsupervised for 2 minutes, and I think she ate 6 inches of the toy. The end is now ragged and it's 6 inches shorter than it should be.

Will this pass or should I get her to the vet, or should I make her vomit? I've Googled it and people have said that their cats have passed it, but I don't want to take any changes.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Premier Cat

Re: HELP! Cat Ate 6 Inches of Her Cat Charmer

Hmmm. While it is worrisome, if this were my cat, I think I'd take a wait-and-see approach. If the cat ate considerably more than 6", I'd ask my vet about a purgative if I had caught the little booger red-pawed. With only 6", it should be pushed through just fine. However, I'd watch her closely for any behavioral changes that would indicate a problem; listlessness, hiding, vomitting, straining to 'go' and watch for the charmer to make its' grand exit.
You may want to call your vet to alert them of what she ate so they can be forewarned about any surgical procedure they may have to do to retrieve said item. They also may have more signs to tell you about that you can watch for.
Best of luck. Aren't kitties stinkers?
I hope it all comes out okay in the end. (pun intended)
Heidi

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Nini's cat ate 12 inches of cat charmer. I think it took her cat 3-4 weeks to finally throw it up.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Banned

I know you're a concerned cat "parent" and that's good. Better that than the other way. But you need to get used to these things happening or you'll be in a constant state of panic. The "wait and see" approach is best. And chances are you'll find most of those missing six inches under the couch some day when you move out. And if not, they'll be gone forever, because only rarely do you actually get to see them in the litterbox.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'd take the wait and see approach as well. But I'd also give her a small daily dose of hairball remedy for 3-4 days, that will help keep things lubricated and make it less likely to get tangled and help pass it through.

Holly got hold of a large decorative elastic (one of those gold things you can put on gifts) (Dad's fault not mine, he had it around a large file folder, dropped it and waited a couple minutes to pick it up. Big mistake, he looked for for hours). Anyway, all I ever found was 6-7 chewed up pieces less than an inch long in a pile of vomit about 2 weeks later. No idea what happened to the rest of the darn thing.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Cat Addict

I hate to be an alarmist, but perhaps I've seen too many linear foreign body horror stories. If you are going to "wait and see" be sure to go to the vet at the first signs of vomiting, refusal to eat or discomfort of any kind. Even if its the middle of the night or a weekend. And be prepared for a lengthy and expensive operation in that event.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I agree with Kobster. This could become quite serious. I would watch her very carefully--at least.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Cool Cat

My cat Salvador (RB) w4 a great charmer and would charm the little old lady next door for treats. She once gave him a piece of bologna and didn't remove the red whatsis around it. He ate it, and it got tangled in his innards. The vet gave him some meds to relax him and a lot of stool softner and kept him overnight, warning that if it didn't worl, surgery was the onlh other option. He did pass the offending red whatsis, and was fine.

If you note ANY discomfort, please seek medical attention, if it doesn't pass, it could kill her.

But first please tear your house apart looking for the missing length of charmer.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you all for your very caring replies. Shortly after posting, I did call her vet, ended up at the Tufts emergency center. She's quite small and I'm do not do well with health uncertainty. Perhaps with more cat experience, I would but...

They tried to get her to vomit - stubborn kitty would not. They are keeping her overnight and will do en endoscopy in the morning if she hasn't vomited overnight. They did an xray and see something in her stomach. She ate very little since breakfast (but I don't know when or much about cat digestion) but the vet wasn't certain what it was. They'll do another xray in the morning to see if it's stil there.

I know it's going to be expensive if they do the endoscopy, but far less then surgery so I'm comfortable with the decision. And haven't I learned a valuable lesson. Thanks again.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

On a human, an endoscopy is just a "look-see" -- a diagnostic procedure -- they can take tissue samples for biopsies, but I don't think they do surgery (I may be wrong, maybe I should call my sister, the nurse in the family). So if it's the same for cats, if they find something in there, they're going to want to open her up. Is the OP quite clear on what's going to be done and what it's supposed to accomplish? There may be a surprisingly large veterinary bill when a wait and see approach would have been riskier, but cost nothing. Risk is relative, though. An endoscopy isn't without risk, either.

The OP is on the scene and the only one capable of weighing all the factors and making the decision, but if I had noticed six inches of one strand of cat charmer missing, I wouldn't have been too concerned, because as a matter of fact, I DID notice one of the strands of my cat charmer chewed off just recently, and seeing as how I had no idea when it occurred, didn't see any sense in pursuing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page