My cat is having her hind leg amputated tomorrow.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

My cat is having her hind leg amputated tomorrow....

Hi
Im new to the forum. I joined because ive never actually met anyone with a cat who has a amputated leg and am hoping someone on here will have gone thru the same experience. My cat (Bella) got bitten about 3 months back on the paw and it swelled up so i took her vets where after a lot of tests they found out it was infected with feline turberculosis. Now from what the vet said this is pretty rare!! Typical lol. Well they gave me options and i opted for antibiotics until the biopsy results came back (which they havent and they could take at least another 2 months!). Well i went and have now ran out of options except the drastic one of opting for amputation. So the vet has booked her in for tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice/tips/things to expect once shes home. The vet has provided lots of information about care and so on but it would be nice to hear from someone whos cat has been through it.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Premier Cat

Re: My cat is having her hind leg amputated tomorrow....

Welcome and I'm sorry you and your poor kitty are going through such a dramatic change.

I've known several cats with amputated legs. Two, actually. Both were front-leg-amps. The 1st one was owned by my neighbor and she was an outdoor cat who got around quite well. The 2nd is my vet's office cat and she also gets around very well.

Personally, I think a hind leg amputation will be easier for a cat to manage and adjust to than a front leg. The front legs hold most of the weight and absorb the shock of landing when jumping down. Cats (and other animals) adjust very well to losing limbs. There will be a period of time where they are clumsy until they adjust to the missing limb. The reason I feel hind leg loss is easier than front leg loss is due to the amount of use these limbs get:
Front leg: landing, catching, digging/burying.
Back leg: jumping, squating.
The front legs are more useful with varying tasks while the back legs are fairly limited to just forward movement.

Good luck to you and your kitty!
Heidi

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

I've never had a cat lose a leg, but from what I've heard they do adjust very well. We do have one active member that I know of with a missing leg...Silver Deer's Milly is missing a front leg I believe. You might want to PM her if she doesn't respond to this shortly. She is in Australia so the time difference may be a factor.

I do agree with Heidi that loss of a back leg is probably easier than a front leg. I think the biggest issue you're going to have is getting the balance right in the litter box. So be prepared to be cleaning her butt for a while.

Welcome to Cat Forum, hope you'll stick around and post some pictures for us too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Cat Addict

Hi there. My Sully is a three legger. He lost his left front leg when he was about 14 weeks old. He adjusted very quickly and it has never slowed him down any. And as Heidi pointed out, its actually harder on them to lose the front leg. I suspect once your kiddo has recovered from the surgery and re-learned how to squat in the litter box she will be getting around like nothing ever happened in no time. Good luck and keep us updated.

Rachael with Thurston, Sully and Ninja.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Puzzles and Tyler, Gone but never forgotten
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies. Unfortunatly the op has been postponed. Now they have found possible infection in her throat so the TB may of spread which means if the tests come back postive for a type of bacteria then i will have to put her to sleep Hopefully she should be ok! Fingers crossed and all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page