Overweight cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Overweight cat

Our spayed female cat is 2 years old. Spends alot of time outdoors... and sleeps inside.. We live in the hills of southern WV. Very rural.. The Vet wants her to lose 2 pounds. (from 11 to 9 lbs). I'm feeding her about 2/3 - 3/4 cup of Purina Healthful Life a day. Not losing any weight. I imagine she's eating something besides this.
Anyway; Any suggestions for a "Healthy" diet over the counter cat food ???? Something that will fill her up, but help to gradually drop a pound or 2..
Happy Holidays.....BrotherAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:52 AM

Re: Overweight cat

Healthful life has 412 calories per cup (per website).

An adult cat that is not very active only requires about 20 calories per pound of body weight. If your cat should be 9 pounds, then she should probably get approximately 180-200 calories per day. This would be about a 1/2 cup of dry per day. So she may not be eating anything else. (But she may start finding something if you cut down to 1/2 cup. )

I had the same problem with our outdoor cat who was on dry food. I suspected she was getting something else somewhere, but then realized I was just feeding her too much. (about 3/4 cup per day, and she was 9 pounds, should be 8 lbs).

I made her indoors for other reasons. She is now on about 2/3c of wet food per day, and is finally lost some weight.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Cool Cat

I agree, you are probably feeding a bit too much, 1/2 cup sounds better. I would also suggest replacing some dry with wet food because dry has many, many more carbs than wet does. The more wet you can feed instead of dry, the better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to be blunt but Purina Healthful Life is a recipe for an unhealthy life. It doesn't have any good muscle meat, it's chicken by-products, lots of corn, soy and wheat. A cat's system is not designed for these types of foods and doesn't process them well. They can't get all the nutrients out of it and so they eat more of it. The high level of carbs become fat because cats don't have the correct enzymes to process them.

You're not likely to have much success with weight loss unless you add a good portion of wet food to her diet. Or cut way back on the dry, driving her to hunt her own prey.

Here's a great article on weight loss for cats:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catweight.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Premier Cat

I second doodlebug's advice.
Just wanted to add that I would stay away from any "lite" or "indoor" formula. They tend to be higher in carbs and fillers. Quite the opposite of what a tubby kitty needs. Go figure.
The only way my cats lost weight, and I tried everything, was on a high protein no grain wet diet.

Victoria
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook
I second doodlebug's advice.
Just wanted to add that I would stay away from any "lite" or "indoor" formula. They tend to be higher in carbs and fillers. Quite the opposite of what a tubby kitty needs. Go figure.
The only way my cats lost weight, and I tried everything, was on a high protein no grain wet diet.
Thanks to All !! Can you suggest some High Protein/no Grain products that I can find already prepared (in the can) at pet store. I have a few cans of Friskies Selects 5.5 oz.I couldn't find the calorie count on line.... She loves it.... I'm going to call Purina at 7am central time. It's sad that they advertise food as being wonderful and healthy when it's NOT !!
We have 2 male kittens, a 13 yr old persian that eats kidney diet canned, and our female that needs to lose 2 pounds.... I wish they could all eat same food.... Kittens are about to point where they could eat cat food
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Just came back from Pet Supplies. Bought a 2 lb bag of Wellness Core protein-focused nutrition. 50% protein and grain free. Also Wellness Natural canned turkey and chicken.(Grain Free)
I'm going to mix the wellness dry with the dry she's been eating for one meal of 1/3 -1/2 cup.
I'll gradually increase the proportion of wellness.
2nd meal will be about 3oz of the wellness canned...
I'm hoping that by eliminating all the grain, we'll get her down to optimal weight.
Any comments ??
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Cat Addict

I would suggest you make the transition to the new food very slowly. Going from a cheap grain free food to high quality no grain food is likely to cause some digestive upset for a while, so a slow transition over a couple weeks would be best.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed, I'd also make the transitions one at a time. Changing dry and adding wet at the same time is a recipe for diarrhea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Premier Cat

Agreed.
And I think Wellness is one of the best choices you could have made.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page