Kitten not eating much - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Kitten not eating much

Hey guys. New to the forum here.

Just adopted a kitten around six months old. He just appeared one day in a friend's garage and lived there for about 2 or 3 weeks. And I knew when I saw him that he was the one for me.

Anyway, he's been to the vet twice now...first time to get looked over and get some relief for the slight URI he seemed to have. Vet tested his stool, took his blood - all the tests thankfully came back negative. He was a little over 5 lbs at the first visit.

Second visit was a recheck. URI had cleared up a lot (a few sneezes here and there) and he'd worked his way up to 7lbs. Soon, as the sneezes go away for good, the vet wants me to come back for neutering and eventually, the necessary vaccines.

The problem is that he doesn't seem to eat much. I feed him twice a day and in one day, the total amount of food he receives is approximately 3 ounces of wet food (Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul) and perhaps a half a cup of dry (Blue Spa Select for Kittens) along with some Greenies here and there. And of course, he always has fresh water which does lap up throughout the day. But as for the amount of food, what he actually consumes seems a lot less than amounts recommended on the cat food packages for a guy his size and age. But if I give him any more than what I've listed above, he doesn't finish.

Still, he seems healthy. Bright clear eyes, shiny, soft and clean coat. He sleeps a lot, but he also has active periods throughout the day where he's running around after his toys, exploring the apartment, grooming and generally acting like a cat. Uses his litter box no problem. And like I said, the vet was pleased with him when he came in for his 2nd visit.

I'm just worried because I always thought kittens eat more than he does.

Thoughts?

Oh - almost forgot. He's taking an antibiotic prescribed by the vet to help him fight off that URI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Kitten not eating much

That seems like plenty of food to me.

As long as his weight is good--seems the vet is happy. Then i wouldn't worry.

Leslie
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks a lot. Though I edited my comment to say he had about a 1/2 cup of the dry daily. But you're right. If the vet is happy with him and he seems to be happy, I should quit worrying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 PM

I wouldn't worry... as long as his weight maintains, he's fine. Every cat is different, and maybe he's not used to the healthy food and it's not as appealing to him...

A cat's coat is often a good indication of it's nutrition (though not always, there are always exceptions). You said his coat was soft and shiny-- sounds healthy!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Never believe what they say on the bags! They're notorious for advising way too much food.

My adult cats each get just under 4 oz of wet and 1/8 cup dry per day and maintain their weight perfectly. And that's a pretty typical amount for adult cats on good quality foods. Your kitten is eating significantly more than that, so I'd say he's getting plenty.

Of course the real indicator is that he's growing, maintaining a good weight, is active and seemingly happy, which you say he is. So don't worry about what's on the bag. Judge by what you see in the kitten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page