I am getting worried - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

I am getting worried

I am starting to get worried with mia's kittens. They are very skinny and look like they are not getting enough milk. They are almost 2 week's old as of tomorrow morning. I've tried everything i can think of to get the kitten's to drink her milk but nothing seem's to working specially with the kitten i am going to keep peekaboo she is the skinniest of them all. If anyone can give me idea's that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 02:24 PM

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Re: I am getting worried

She may not have enough milk for them. Bottle feed them with Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR or other brands) formula. You can get it at any pet store...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

even if i am giving her kitten food with her adult food? Ok i will buy some tomorrow and start giving it to her.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Not to Mia, give it to the kittens. Sometimes mom's just don't produce enough milk no matter how well they're fed. You'll need bottles and the formula, both are available in any pet store I've ever been in. You can probably even get it at Walmart. If you can get it today, I'd start right away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

oh no i figured that out that i wouldn't give it to mia just peekaboo. Ok i will check out the wal-mart by my house. Is whiska's cat/kitten milk the same or is it worse?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Premier Cat

It is NOT the same, and in that respect, yes...it would be worse.

Your kittens are not getting enough nutrition from Mia, for whatever reason, and they need to be supplementally (bottle) fed. This means you will need to use "KMR", which stands for Kitten Milk Replacer. Or you can bottle feed the kittens a product called "Just Born". If Peekaboo is the tiniest kitten, she certainly needs to be supplementally bottle fed...but if the other kittens are also skinny/ribby (at 2wks they should all be sort of fat, with rounded tummies, and difficult to feel spine/rib bones) they will all need to be bottle fed.
Heidi

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

I'm really not familiar with all the brands. But I think you might be talking about the cat milk treat, that's not the same as mothers replacement milk. You're looking for something that is the equivalent of baby formula for cats.

And I'd give it to all the kittens, not just Peekaboo

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks i will check out a couple of pet stores plus wal-mart. Does it need to be a bottle i have a couple of syringes but if not i can buy a bottle at the pet store. 3 of the kitten's aren't as big as the other three peekaboo and her sister coconut are the smallest out of all the babies.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Premier Cat

You can use a syringe, but I speak from experience, the plungers will get 'sticky' and it will be difficult to smoothly express the milk to the kittens without accidentally shooting it strongly into their mouths (high risk of aspiration and pneumonia if that happens) when that plunger sticks, and it will stick.

A kitten nursing bottle is only a few dollars and I would get one. When I bottle fed a litter of 5 (from 9 days of age) I used two bottles for the milk, which would feed the whole litter, and I had about a half dozen nipple tips so I could use 2 on the bottles and have others drying and ready for the next feeding. I would use a heated safety pin and enlarge the nipple hole in a few of the nipples until I found the size hole they liked to nurse from.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page