Prayers needed for my Kitty... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Prayers needed for my Kitty...

I figured most of you that post here, can probably relate to how I feel right now. I have been missing my kitty since an emergency visit to the vets on Tuesday night.

He started vomitting Monday night and it continued off and on until early morning, but then he finally stopped. I called the vet as soon as they opened, and they said he could have eaten something bad and got it out of his system, but keep a close eye on him throughout the day, and contact them immediately if he started to vomit again. He was fine until Tuesday night, when he started to vomit again at 10pm. He was no longer able to keep any food or even water down, without throwing it up. So I immediately contacted the vet, and they said to bring him right in for an emergency visit so they could hydrate him and check him out.

It's now Friday night, and they still have my cat, and say they need to keep him this entire weekend. My cat has not eaten since Tuesday, in which he threw up the food he did eat. The vet says that a cat can not go more than 3-4 days without eating, or their organs will start shutting down. During the course of the week, they hydrated him with IV's, did xrays, bloodwork, a dye test, and all kinds of other tests, trying to figure out why he can't keep any food or water down, with no luck. So today they decided it was best to do surgery, and open him up to find out whats going on. Doing so, they found that he had a viral infection, which caused his stomach and intestines to be inflamed, and said he was dehydrated to the bone. So they cleansed out his insides, made sure his intestines and stomach were clear of any mucus and obstruction, and made sure all of his organs were hydrated before closing him back up. And they gave him a shot to trigger a gag reflex thing in his brain, that should prevent him from wanting to throw up his food. They said after all of that, he should be able to hold his food down now. Should being the key word.

And now the waiting game. The vet didn't want to give him any food today, because of the surgery. And said he most likely will not eat on his own tomorrow, because of all of the stress he has been through this week with tests and staying at the vets, so they are going to force feed him with a syrynge starting tomorrow morning, and continue to do so throughout the weekend if he does not eat on his own, to get his nutrients back up and make sure he can hold the food down. They basically said if he still is not able to hold the food down, he will not live.

My cat is only 5 years old, and he is my extremely spoiled baby that I am very attached to. I have not slept all week, and have felt physically sick with worry this entire week. And have been driving the vets office insane with my obsessive phone calls checking on his status all throughout every day. I even resorted to yelling at them at one point, because in my opinion - they were taking too long to figure out what was wrong with him, considering they were racing a clock on his organs shutting down from no food. The vets that he is at, is actually veterinary hospital, which I thought he would get the best care at. And they have always seemed so great with my pets, but I was not impressed that it took them 3 and a half crucial days to figure out what was wrong with my cat. And I feel like if something happens to him, it will be their fault for taking so long to find the problem.

So thats my story that I needed to vent to those that can relate. My cat has never been away from home a single night in his life, so its been a very rough stressful week for both my cat and myself. It breaks my heart to think about him lying in that cage alone, sick and scared. So please find some time tonight to send out a prayer for my baby Cody.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Prayers needed for my Kitty...

I hope he has a full recovery. I've never been through what you're experiencing, but I know how much I freak out about little things with my girls. I hope you can get some sleep, but I know that's easier said than done. Good wishes being sent your way.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome to poor you and Cody.
Best wishes for Cody to be returned to you and have a speedy recovery,
Heidi

I have a question for vets/vet-techs who visit this board...can't a viral infection be detected through a blood test? Certainly a blood test would be able to tell them something? If it couldn't tell them an inflamation was going on, surely it could have pointed to elevated WBC or RBC, or whatever of the blood count that indicates the body is fighting an infection?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both Marie and Heidi.

I'd also like to know the answer to Heidi's question about the bloodtest. Because they got my cats blood results back Thursday morning, yet said his tests were normal. And I don't understand how they could not have realized he had a virus with the blood results, or just by examining him even. They did recognize that his stomach was inflamed from xrays the very first night - Tuesday, however did not know the cause of it before opening him up on Friday.

I fear that they just made up that they found a viral infection, to "pass the buck" and calm me down with an excuse. Because all of the days prior to this, they had no idea what was wrong with him.. and the night before I sort of flipped out on them when they still had no answers for me, and told them I was going to come pick him up and take him to a new vet (My stress levels were/are running extremely high with worry because they were finding nothing and my cat is still very ill, and at this point - they had flat out told me he would die if he did not get food in him).

They claim he is now on the road to recovery, "so they hope". But will not know more until they get some food in him tomorrow. I really have my doubts that they know what they are doing at this point. Because I took him in on Tuesday, and they let him go until Saturday with no food, after telling me cats organs shut down after just a few days of no food? Surely anyone would have flipped out in this situation. They did also say that when they were inside of him, they could see his liver was starting to have some effects from no food, but think he'll have a full recovery if they get food in him tomorrow. I just really have a bad gut feeling about what they've done now, and fear its too late. I fear they let him go too long without food. Before his surgery, I felt it would have been bad for my cat, to pull him out of their care in the middle of treatments to take him somewhere else, because they had him hooked up to an IV for fluids, and had already done several tests at this point. I felt I'd be wasting time making him start fresh at a new vets, and time was not on my cats side at this point. And they are supposed to be the professionals that know what they're doing. But now, I'm hoping I didn't make the wrong decision.

I picked this vet, because I wanted him to have the best care. The office is very well known (and extremely expensive), and highly credited in this area, and they have always been very good with my pets.. So it could just be my worrying stress working in overtime, I hope. But I do know, after the experience I've had this week, that I will not feel better until I hear that he's keeping his food down, and can come home, and will most likely find a new vet after this. I feel that they did not pinpoint his problem fast enough (if they even really did), and put his life at risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page