Any experience with Nutro Ultral/Nutro Natural Cat Food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Any experience with Nutro Ultral/Nutro Natural Cat Food?

My vet says my cat is overweight. He's 5.5 years old, and weighs in at 21 pounds. Huge, I know. But please keep in mind, that he is a very large cat anyways, big boned and the size of a small dog, so he will naturally weigh more than most normal sized kitties.

But the vet says he is still a bit overweight even for his large size, which can lead to obvious health risks when overweight. I have not had a chance to ask her what his ideal weight should be for his size as of yet, because we've had a horrific week with a viral infection that he almost died from, and they had to do surgery to save him yesterday. But I will ask the vet I pick him up hopefully on Monday.

But she says I should switch him to something called Nutro Ultra, which she says is very good for cats. I know all vets have different opinions as to what is best, and what is not. So please let me know if you've had any experience or luck with this cat food, and if not.. what your vets recommend for your kitties.

Also, when I google it - I find it called Nutro Natural, not Nutro Ultra. I assume this is what she is talking about?

Thanks for any input in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Any experience with Nutro Ultral/Nutro Natural Cat Food?

Nutro Naturals wet foods are decent foods, but not the dry. Ingredients below in bold are not helpful to a weight loss program and not healthy for a cat in general. Cats are obligate carnivores, the need protein from meat, not cheap fillers like rice and corn gluten meal, they don't need to be eating cereal. Their system is not designed to process carbs, they don't have very much of the enzyme amylase which is needed for carb digestion. The carbs become fat.

Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Rice Flour, Rice Protein Concentrate, Herring Meal, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Oat Fiber,

Dry foods in general are too carb loaded to be effective with weight loss. He needs to be on a wet food diet to shed those pounds. Here's a good article on cat weight loss:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/catweight.html

BTW, I have a very large male cat, who is 18.8 lbs and not fat. But I do watch him carefully to ensure he doesn't gain anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Banned

I don't feed Nutro anymore and never will again.

There are a host of complaints about this food on consumeraffairs.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Tom Cat

The consumer affairs website is a bunch of nonsense read this:

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/tortsp ... fairs.html

I have been feeding Nutro almost exclusively. I have recently switched dry foods due to the quality of ingredients and wanting to go grain free but we still use their wet food--they have a large variety, reasonable prices and the food is of good quality--no by products.

Leslie
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thank you all for your input.

It's really hard to decide whats best for your cat, when everyone has a different opinion, including your own vet.

Unfortunately, my big boy will not eat wet food. I've tried every brand on the market, from healthy to Fancy Feast. From tuna, chicken to seafood flavors. He likes no brand, and no flavor. He just sticks his nose up and walks away from any kind of wet food there is. So I have to keep him on some type of dry food so he'll eat. Strangely, he's never been a big eater at all, not even with the dry food, even though he's so big.

I have given him a piece of cooked chicken here and there, and he seems to love that. Is that healthy for a cat? People have told me its not healthy to give them people food, because it needs to be processed correctly for a cat before giving it to them, so it's rare that I allow him to have any chicken that I cook. But reading through this forum, I've read that some people give their cats cooked meats?

And what about canned tuna? He goes crazy at the smell of canned tuna, but I've always been scared to give it to him. Any thoughts or suggestions?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Premier Cat

It sounds like you have a dry food junky on your hands!
Often, cats that eat dry food become addicted to it and it is very difficult (but not impossible) to get them off it. It took my junky a few months. In my experience, cats simply won't lose weight on dry food. Period.
As for cooked chicken, it's not balanced diet for a cat so I wouldn't give it more than as an occasional treat but that's fine. I would not give tuna to your cat either unless it is only a vary occasional snack. Again, it's not a balanced diet, it's not very good for them and they can become addicted to it very quickly.
If your cat does like tuna, however, that might help you introduce some wet onto his diet but sprinkling some tuna juice over the wet food. Just a thought. Another thing that can help a cat accept wet food is, if you're free feeding, start doing mealtimes instead. Then begin to introduce some wet. Often times, the kitty is hungry enough to eat it then.
As for everyone having a different opinion. I think you will find that, among people who have actually studied feline nutrition (sadly, not enough practicing vets) they DO agree that either a properly balanced raw/cooked diet or canned food are all far superior for a cats health than dry. I know it is confusing when your vet tells you otherwise but, keep in mind, most vets have practically NO nutritional training in vet school and if they do, it's about an hour and a half class given by reps from pet food companies (namely Hill's)! I honestly don't think you could find a reputable vet, who actually studied feline nutrition, that would recommend dry food.

Victoria
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Premier Cat

Here are a few more articles.
http://www.catinfo.org

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... ramforcats

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... cannedfood

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page