Older cat (Louise) can't keep food down - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Older cat (Louise) can't keep food down

I am fostering a 12 year old cat. She was a stray...A rescue group helped me get her foot operated on (she had a large cyst growing out of the pad of her left front foot. It was about the size of a cherry--very sad to look at.)
Anyway, that was done over a month ago. The rescue group kept her while she was recovering from the surgery, and now I'm fostering her until she can find a forever home. She is the sweetest thing.
anyway, she has always had a voracious appetite. She eats alot! It was never a problem before, but I got her back about a week ago. She was fine eating whatever I gave her. Seemed to eat a little at a time. Yesterday she ate, and got up on the bed and threw up this HUGE amount of cat food. It looked like almost a cup of food. I have never seen a cat throw up so much at one time. I took her food away and a few hours gave her just a little bit. She threw it up. Much later I gave her a few more pieces of dry food. She threw it up. She finally got maybe about 10 pieces down. This morning I gave her maybe 10 pieces of dry food and she threw it up. She has been so healthy until now. She's been tested for EVERYTHING and I don't know why this is happening.

It takes a very strong person to manage a feral cat colony. I'm am weakening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Older cat (Louise) can't keep food down

Is it possible she has ingested something that is interfering with her digestion? Cats vomit on occasion, I'm sure this is no surprise to you, but to vomit immediately after eating and to continue to do this for 2 days, worries me. I think she may need to see a vet.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Re: Older cat (Louise) can't keep food down

Yes, she needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. Cats must eat or they can get into serious trouble with liver disease. Also, frequent vomiting can dehydrate her and make her even sicker.

She may have ingested something that is impacting her, or perhaps some sort of toxin. Also, general anesthesia can sometimes have nasty effects on the organs of older cats unless special precautions are taken during surgery. In any event, she needs to be diagnosed and treated quickly. You sure don't want to get stuck on Christmas Day with a dying cat and no one available to help.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page