Wieght gain.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Wieght gain..

I am the proud owner of a 3.5 year old male bengal cat(i adopted him 1 year ago, he was a breeder), as of lately he seems to be developing quite a "pouch" for a tummy. 6 months ago he was a lean, muscular cat. You could see every muscle on his body. I have been feeding him purina naturals, and sheba duck and chicken for meals. And occasionaly, 100% pure salmon pieces.(As a treat while we play) I excercise him 2x daily, at a minimum, which includes laser chasing, and feather wands, and him wrestling my arm.
Any health issues i should be concerned about? or is he just becoming accustomed to the "bachelor life" ? or perhaps this food is not the right choice. I prefer foods that do not contain "animal byproducts" in the ingredients.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Wieght gain..

Well, Purina and Sheba are not the best foods out there. They are full of fillers and empty calories. Some better foods would be Natural Balance or Nutro if you're going to a large chain store. The best thing though, is to go to a smaller independent store ( or order online) since they usually carry the best quality foods. Some of the foods I think are best (canned) are Wellness, Prairie, and Innova. Dry are Evo and Wellness Core. There are others as well but those spring to mind right now. As you said, foods that have no by products are best but also I would look at foods that have meat as the first ingredient, low or no grains, no glutens or soy, and no artificial colorings and flavorings.
As for weight loss, the very best thing you can do is to restrict or eliminate dry food altogether. Dry food, by nature, even the best ones, will put weight on your cat if your cat is prone to getting tubby. Obviously, you also need to monitor portion size too. Don't go by the recommended feeding on the bag or can. They're daffy. If you're feeding wet food, an average cat needs about 5-6 oz per day. I think most of the people here who feed dry as well do about 3 oz of wet and 1/8 cup of dry per day. I could be wrong on that but I'm sure they'll chime in.
As for the pouch, some cats just have them and it doesn't necessarily mean they are overweight. The best way to determine that is, if you look down at your cat (standing) they should have a slight indentation at the waist. They're ribs should be just barely palpable but with a good covering over them. Here's a chart is not the best but it gives you a good idea of what a healthy weight should be.
http://www.cvm.tamu.edu/clinicalnutrition/bcscat.shtml
Hope that helps. And welcome to the forum!

Victoria
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the reply nanook I will definatley look into finding a different "small scale" pet shop and look into the food brands you suggested. I had found one store, but $30 for a 5lb bag of food seemed pretty steep. Perhaps thats a normal cost for quality food?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forum1.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1035  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Premier Cat

He's gorgeous!
$30 does sound very high! Is that US dollars?
I think an average for quality dry food should be more like $15-$20 for a 5lb bag. I just bought a 2.5lb bag of Evo today and it was $6.99. Usually, the larger the bag the cheaper it is. For the canned food, it varies, but I'd expect to pay around $1 per 6oz can. They usually give a discount if you buy it by the case.

Victoria
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Yes thats US dollars, we are from wisconsin. I told Meyer you thought he was gorgeous, he just looked at me as if to say "Pff, i know!" He's a tad sassy like that.
I'll keep an update on the brand i find suitable for my owner, (err pet?) Also, if your interested in more pics, I will post him in the Cat Introduction section soon as i get off work.
Again, I appreciate the info.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 01:33 AM
Premier Cat

Ha,ha. I can picture the look exactly.
We always love pictures around here!

Victoria
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~

If you have a Petco near you, they sell Wellness and Innova. Usually around 20.00 for a 5lb bag. Last a VERY long time
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...5Fid=996&Page=
This is the brand i've decided to try.
Any opinions?
Day 1 did not go well. Added a little to his dry food, and 5 minutes later.... kitty puke
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Senior Cat

i had just gotten that for milo and for a few of the farm cats just about a week ago and they haven't had problems with it. milo has been gaining wieght on it (he's supposed to be though, he's underwieght) and is way more active atleast for being 13!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Good to hear Im hoping Meyer can shed 2 lbs, he's 11.5 lbs right now. Thats 2 lbs heavier than last year.
Is there an ideal "cat" wieght?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page