Pee Problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Pee Problem

Hi i have a cat that has recently been having problems peeing, he is still peeing a little but often begins growling when using the litter tray.

He has been to the vets and we are planning on taking him back, but at the moment we have no money to take him to the vets with, and its christmas tomorrow, so i was just wondering if there is anything i can do to make it any easier for him.

a couple of our other cats have had the same problem before, but not as bad. Their fed on wet and dry food and always have plenty of water around, as i know that its important for cats with peeing problems to get. The dry food we feed them is go cat, which on the back says it promotes a healthy urinary tract. I cant remember the name of the wet food at the moment but i think its ok stuff.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how i can ease things for him until we take him to the vet, which will probably be the begining of next week or possibly Saturday, and any advice on preventing further problems like this would help allot.

Thanks Sally

*I was thinking i should probably tell you more about him his name is Felix although he rarely gets called this i usually call him Fifi for short he is 1 year and 8 months old he is a male neutered cat he is a strictly indoor cat however he used to be outdoor/indoor but after loosing his sister and his cousin on the road outside we decided that it was better for them and us if they remained indoors he lives with his mum and two brothers also his auntie and her two sons in regard to litter trays i know allot of people say one tray per cat plus one but when you have 7 cats that's allot of litter trays and we don't have enough rooms in the house for all the ones we would have so currently we have two one huge tray and another smaller one which are cleaned thoroughly every day i think that's about all i have to say about him except for like all cats he enjoys playing with things and sleeping on things he shouldn't and generally enjoys getting up to no good with his partners in crime his brothers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to vilate Send a message via Yahoo to vilate
Re: Pee Problem

Has he been to the vet since he's been having that problem? Because it sounds very much like it hurts him to go which means it is probably a UTI. Definitely, he needs to see the vet asap in order to diagnose the issue. If he's going very little and growling, you've got a pain problem on your hands.

Wyn is a bad, bad kitteh. Good thing her person is a bad, bad girl... They get along great!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

yes he has been to the vet since the problem started and was given a long acting antibiotic and a steriod injection and we were told if he was still no better to go back that was about 2 weeks ago i did think he was starting to get better and the antibiotic injection is supposed to last 2 weeks but im deffinatley going to make sure he sees a vet as soon as i can get him an appointment

hes perfectly healthy in all other aspects hes eating and drinking normally but i know its important i get him to the vet asap so hopefully **** have an appointment on Saturday or Monday fingers crossed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief

It's possible that your boy may have a partial urinary blockage. If he is developing crystals in his urinary tract, the crystals can clump together and form blockages in the urethra. Since he is still able to pass some urine, he is not completely blocked, but he may have a partial blockage that could turn into a complete blockage at any time. If he blocks completely and is unable to pass any urine at all, it is an emergent, life-threatening condition that needs to be addressed immediately in order to save the cat. You should be prepared to take him to an emergency clinic tomorrow if that should happen. If he blocks completely and you try to wait until Saturday or Monday to take him for treatment, he'll likely be dead before you can get him to the vet.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I have had three of my male cats suffer complete blockages, and I was able to get each one to the vet very quickly to save them. My friend, however, was not so lucky. One of her male cats blocked during a snowstorm when she was snowed in and couldn't get to a vet. Her cat died in excruciating pain in her home. That's not something I would want your cat or you to have to experience.

Keep a very close eye on your boy and get him to a vet immediately if he stops being able to pass urine.

Laurie
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

hi today we took him to the vet and she gave him a steroid injection and an antibiotic injection and we are to take a urine sample in on monday she said that his bladder was empty and that its good hes still managing to go but its important to take a urine sample in so they can see if there are any crystals in his urine and then treat him apropriatly and possibly change his diet to stop any problems in the future she also advised us to get 8 litter trays one for each of them and one spare which we have now done well still be keeping a very close eye on him though untill hes 100% better and were also going to try and increase his wet food intake to get more fluids into him

the only future problem would be if we had to change his diet as at the moment they eat as and when they want they have dry food down all the time and just nibble when there hungry and have a can of wet between them on a night but im sure well manage to change it if we do have to feed him a special diet

so im hoping he will start to get better and can stop this problem flaring up in the future but thanks for your reply's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page