I'm a bad mommy :o( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm a bad mommy :o(

I recently discovered my cats have fleas, but only a few of them I've actually been able to find any fleas on with a flea comb. Scruff had the most on him, I assume because he has long fluffy hair and I could just tell he was feeling miserable about it. So I trimmed back some of the hair around his neck to make it easy to clean and put him in the bath to get him cleaned up. It is really hard for me to brush his under side and get all of his mats on a regular basis because he flips out and turns on me and because he was so distracted by being wet and the water running in the bath I took the opportunity to cut a few mats off of his under side. I was being really careful to make sure I wasn't cutting him and only cutting his fur, but I slipped up and accidently cut a section of the top layer of his skin off It didn't bleed but I feel like such a horrible mommy and it is right under his front leg/chest area. I feel absolutely terrible.

Being as he was in the bath the area is clean now, but I'm not sure if I should do anything else like apply an antibiotic ointment. My regular vet isn't open on weekends to call and he has a check up appointment next week to have his thyroid levels checked again (he is very hyper thyroid). Has this ever happened to anyone? It's hard to handle him because he gets so upset so it's going to be difficult to do anything but I want to make sure it doesn't get infected. What should I do?

Mommy of 2 girls and 3 boys
Peanutty, Little Kitty, Doodle, Enzo, and Scruff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

My biggest fear!! I put a comb between the matt and their skin so this won't happen. I'm surprised it didn't bleed, are you sure you cut the skin?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Yeah you can tell it is a little red where I got the top layer and I can tell he's still upset about it

Mommy of 2 girls and 3 boys
Peanutty, Little Kitty, Doodle, Enzo, and Scruff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Cat

I've done that before with a squirmy cat. I had some animal antibiotic that I put on it. Some "people" antibiotics have added ingredients, like the "pain killing" kind. I'm not a vet or even in the animal medical field - but I've read that the pain killing ingredients aren't good for other small animals (hedgehogs, ferrets, rats).

I don't know if that's true or not....just thought I'd repeat it so you could research more.

In my case, I've even just left it with soap and water, and it heals fine. Just watch for increased redness or oozing. Then it could need a vet if you think it's getting infected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page