Cat Forum banner

Switching Canned Foods? Help!

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  ronss 
#1 ·
So when I've switched my dog's kibbles, it was easy. 3/4 of old food, 1/4 of new food, etc. etc.

How do you switch canned food, though? Do you basically do the same thing? I've never had to try and switch a diet aside from kibble.

I'm trying to switch Matrix from Friskies to EVO.

#6 ·
I don't think it should. My girls can switch from Wellness to Merrick to Fancy Feast all in one day.

#7 ·
Just be prepared. Friskies has lots of fillers and additives that aren't healthy that makes it taste yummy. EVO does NOT.

It might be a bit like a kid who eats pizza and McDonald's all the time and suddenly a bowl of cauliflower has been stuck in front of him. :p

#8 ·
Yeah, he's not eating it too readily, but he IS eating it, which is a bit of a relief. I noticed that Friskies smells pretty bad, and the EVO smells like actual chicken. (Shocking, since that's what it's almost entirely made out of....) As long as he's eating, though, I'm happy. :)

#9 ·
I was just thinking the same thing. I gave my girls some pouches a while back and they didn't have a great reaction, not sure if it was Friskies or Whiskas (kind of the same).

#11 ·
I spent about $45 on food for him today (I think I bought 18) of the 13.2 oz. cans. If one can lasts him 2-4 days, that's only about $20 per month. I can live with that. ;)

My Pom gets EVO kibble mixed with about a spoonful of canned (since he's a picky brat). When I was feeding him Taste of the Wild, he ate 1/2 cup per day. On EVO, he eats half that.

#12 ·
i got a 1 yr bombay, and 1.5 yr old siamese...they eat a 12.5 can , plus 1/4 dry a day most of the time....i buy wellness a lot, chicken and turkey seems to be their favorite....also get chicken soup, forgot who makes it, solid gold tuna now and then. might try merricks again.....sometimes i will get a few cans of trader joes tuna, which i don,t think is too bad....seems like a lot of cat food comes from fish...i get my food at pet depot, north of bell on cave creek rd in phoenix....cheapest place i can find in town..

#14 ·
i will have to check pet club out...don,t know how i missed them at paradise valley mall area, i am there all the time.......for prices, i have not seen anyone beat pet depot, but i will check out pets mart.....the problem i have with lot of places that they don,t carry what i buy....i don,t buy can food with meat by products, grains,,,etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.