Cat Forum banner

Loss of balance after steroid shot??

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  kellysue301 
#1 ·
Hello all, my little kitten Bella was taken to the vet today (again) because she has a runny nose/eyes and is sneezing A LOT. I took her to the vet about a month ago (right after I adopted her from a local shelter) because of these same symptoms, plus something wrong with her ears, and the only thing that cleared up was her ear problem. She still has a runny nose and all that congestion. When I brought her in last month the doctor prescribed her antibiotics for 10 days. Now I went in again today and they gave her a steroid shot (without asking me first!!) and prescribed me the same antibiotics for 14 days. The funny thing is that I think it may be allergies because none of my other cats have gotten this sickness and they have played with her since I brought her home. But that is just my opinion!

Anyway, I brought her home and she was so tired and napped for about 2 hours. She just woke up a little bit ago to urinate and defecate and I noticed she was quite off balance as she walked. She stumbled from side to side, lost her footing multiple times, and when she tried to jump on the bed she fell to the side so I lifted her up and put her next to me. She has been acting normally otherwise now that she's awake; ie grooming herself and playing with one of my other cats. However, is the wobblyness a common side effect of the steroid shot?? She had a strange reaction to her distemper shot last month as well, just very lethargic for several days and barely eating/doing anything other than sleeping. I read that those symptoms are more common for a vaccine, but I can't find much on steroid side effects. Thanks a bunch for any responses!

A picture of my little Bella (and Scoot on the left!):

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.