Cat Forum banner

Flagyl for stress-induced diarrhea?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ritzpg 
#1 ·
My cat has been under a lot of stress lately from my having to trap him twice last month to take him to the vet and then having major renovation going on in the apartment above me for the last 8 days (he's an ex-feral). Yesterday, he started having really bad diarrhea. The vet prescribed Flagyl saying he thought the diarrhea was from stress. I'm wondering if I should try a probiotic first or something else. Flagyl is an antibiotic. Does it make sense for it to be prescribed for stress-induced diarrhea? (I'm thinking that is most likely the cause although I could be wrong). Is Flagyl safe?

#2 ·
I don't have a great answer, but I believe that many antibiotics also have diarrhea as a side effect.

I'd imagine that unless you can alleviate the cause (stress), you should treat the symptom. I'd try some high fiber treats, pumpkin, or probiotics to firm up the stool.

I think you should call the vet and double check why the Flagyl was prescribed. I'm pretty sure that's what's given for parasites like giardia. Maybe the vet didn't fully explain things?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
Flagyl is the go-to drug for most everything to do with GI problems and IBD. Ritz is on a five-day course (flavored liquid) because (so the vet says) she ate tainted meat (I fed raw) and threw up undigested food three times in 24 hours. In other words, no motility. Yes you can definitely use human probiotics. Ritz is also on FortiFlora, a probiotic (not a great one) specifically for cats and dogs that tastes really good to cats. Which is necessary--Flagyl tastes horrible. Search the forums for good pro biotics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.