Cat Forum banner

Taurine supplementation - a cautionary tail

972 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kytkattin 
#1 ·
Although I feed a commercial no grain wet food. sometimes I wonder (okay, worry - new Cat Daddy) if some of the listed Taurine is damaged by heat. And I read this article:

Answers: How Much Taurine Should I Add?

Since I already supplement with Lysine (which seems to totally control my boy's crusty nose) by sprinkling a small amount into the bowl, adding a tablespoon of liquid and then the wet food, well… I thought I'd try supplementing Taurine the same way (a small sprinkle, much less than the 200 mg daily recommendation).

Everything I've read said it is harmless (in excess) - so I gave it a try. (Mind you, since the two cats often eat out of each other's bowls, they BOTH get Lysine (which was recommended by the Rescue organization anyway).

Here is what I found… I've tried this on 3 different days at different times and each time they seem to become super energized. I mean they already are energetic (8/10 months), but YOWSER, they act more like they were only 2 or 3 months old. I mean Artie (the Ragdoll) used to always jump up door jambs when he got excited when he was very young… hasn't done it since Jessie came to live here… but, oh boy, he was doing that again every time he got a tiny bit of Taurine. And Jessie turned all Halloween cat and got even more aggressive playing (didn't think that was possible). Humorous in a way… but I didn't expect this. I just thought it would be healthy.

I know it is used in human energy drinks and for cats with a heart condition, but otherwise, just a necessary nutrient. Seems I erred on the side of nutrient.

Again, it was just a little sprinkle - and not every day… but so I can say with certainty, that it is like liquid energy for my guys. Consequently I don't think I will continue with it, they don't need any more energy! Maybe this observation might help someone here whose cat is on the lethargic side. I'm not a vet, just a guy with google and an interest in giving his wards the healthiest diet he can under the circumstances.

Why Taurine is Important in a Cat?s Diet - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Taurine, who knew it was like rocket fuel for cats? Add with caution! YMMV

See less See more
#4 ·
It hasn't done much for energy for Midas either. His energy level picked up a bit when I switched to raw, but other than that he is a normal 3 year old cat of no particular breed origin. Maybe it would be more noticeable in an older cat that had slowed down a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.