Cat Forum banner

Feeding sick Kitty

597 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  laurief 
#1 ·
We found out Kitty has kidney problems, and we are getting her prescription cat food and this powder we sprinkle on her food today. Now my concern is, she hasn't really been eating lately. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to eat her new cat food?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
The NUMBER ONE rule of feeding a kidney cat is ... if she won't eat what you ideally want her to eat, feed her whatever she WILL eat!

The renal prescription diets are unpalatable to many cats. In fact, I have never been able to get any of my kidney cats even slightly interested in eating a prescription renal diet. For that reason, I no longer even try to convince them to eat that stuff. It is FAR more dangerous for the cat to refuse to eat adequately than it is for the cat to eat a less than ideal diet. All of that said ...

We REALLY need to see her lab reports in order to get a better idea of what you're currently dealing with. We need to see what stage of renal disease she is in. We need to see whether she is dehydrated, We need to see where her potassium and phosphorus levels are. We need to see if she's anemic. Etc., etc., etc. We really can't provide much useful information or guidance for you if we can't evaluate what sorts of issues she's having right now. Kidney disease is very complex and can cause a wide variety of symptoms and problems, many of which can affect appetite. Each symptom and problem has its own recommended treatment or management strategies. But we don't know what to recommend if we don't know her current status. Please get copies of her labs and post them here so that we can effectively help you.

Also, please post exactly which medications, supplements, and/or treatments your vet has prescribed and in what doses. Each one can have different effects on her body and appetite, so we need to know what she's taking, too.

Laurie

#3 ·
Ches, I just realized that you are a young person living at home with your mom. I assume, then, that your mom is the one who took Kitty to the vet to have the labs run. If that's the case, ask your mom to call the vet and request copies of Kitty's lab reports.

Laurie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.