Looking for feedback: Kittie threw up right before pooping - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Looking for feedback: Kittie threw up right before pooping

(Not panicing here, just want some feedback and insight for further knowledge)

A bit of back ground.
Harmony was Dx-ed HyperT and went thru I-131 back in April, That was successful (YAY!)

She is also early stage 2 CKD (last Creatinine in July was 2.1: sorry dont have referrence range at the moment)

Today she awoke from a nap and threw up stomach acid (something which she did do frequently when she was hyperT. Since the I-131, this was resolved)...She then went to the litter box and had a healthy poop.

I know that advanced CKD can cause excess stomach acid, but she, at least at last blood panel in July, was more early stage.

Can kidney disease advance that quickly? Or could it have been related to needing to poop?

I have been slowly tweaking her food too, in order to try and get her on a lower PHOS canned food. Thus far, she eats a mixture of two varieties at the same time. One has a PHOS of 1.08 the other .68.

She wont eat the straight .68 but when mixed with the 1.08, about half and half, she will for the most part.

I *try* to get the mixture more on the .68, but I do noticed she will be less interested in it and wont eat nearly as much. So the possibly exists that when I try this, she eats less cause she simply doesnt like it nearly as much as when the higher canned food is the major food.

I guess I am just looking for feedback.
How quickly can/does CKD progress on average? I realize that it may be different cat to cat, but was wondering if there is an average?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

If you said that she threw up after pooping I would think that it was related to straining in the box...maybe a little constipated. But since it was before I don't think it's related to the need to poop.

Some cats will vomit when they have an empty stomach too long and the acids build up (which could be related to the kidney disease in this case). Giving smaller meals more often can help with this situation. As well as the Pepcid recommended for kidney cats.

I really can't address how quickly kidney disease advances, Laurief is the girl for that. But I suspect it varies widely with each cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Vomiting acid in kidney cats is, as doodlebug noted, most commonly related to having an empty stomach and/or producing too much stomach acid. If your girl is eating less as a result of not liking the food mix, then her stomach is also emptying more quickly. Feed her more frequently, and, if necessary, forget the lower phos food and give her what she wants to eat. If she develops high blood phosphorus, you can address that with a good phos binder, but if she quits eating or eats insufficiently, she may quickly lose weight that you can't get back on her. Keep that girl eating!

1/4 of a Pepcid AC (regular strength) at bedtime can also help manage the buildup of stomach acid overnight. But if she's not vomiting acid first thing in the morning, then she probably doesn't need that yet. It's best to reserve meds for when they're really needed, esp. in kidney cats. BTW, I have seen cats in early stage CKD with excess stomach acid. That's not a problem exclusive to late stage CKD.

CKD does progress at different rates in different cats, but there are steps you can take to help slow the progression of the disease as much as possible. Most important is keeping her properly hydrated. Second is keeping her electrolytes in proper range. A treatment that seems to be working well for my kidney cats is Calcitriol, which is best started when the cat is in early stage CKD. You can read about Calcitriol at the following link:

Calcitriol Reference Page

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks Laurie.
Yes, she really does enjoy the food with the higher PHOS content a great deal. Gobbles it right up.

I will do that. Feed her what she truly likes and enjoys...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Could you post Harmony's last bloodwork results here? It would be helpful to see it.

Laurie
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I will Laurie. It may take a few days, though, things are super busy at work (our farm) right now. Will try to get them up by the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page