Cleaning Polly's ears - is this a foretelling of future problems? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Cleaning Polly's ears - is this a foretelling of future problems?

I took a picture of Polly recently and noticed her ears looked FILTHY in the pic! I spent about 1/2 hour today with 2 wet wipes and 4 Q-tips cleaning gook - and PLENTY of it - out of her ears. She loved the grooming but it got me to thinking. My Missy always had gooky ears! I was constantly cleaning her ears (she loved it too) but she also developed some major eye issues later in life with corneal sequestrums. When the CS develops it looks just like ear gook - kind of brown/black - adhered on to the surface of the eye and it requires surgical removal.

Anyone else make the correlation between gooky ears and eye problems with their cats?? I just love this girl and if I thought she would not be properly cared for later in life it would kill me.

Attachment 69562

Attachment 69570

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by Marcia; 04-30-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Cat Addict

I seem to remember both my boys getting gunky ears when they were little...maybe chalk it up to kittens getting into dusty/dirty corners? Under the sofa, ect, and it causing a higher level of wax production?? If it sticks around into adulthood there's obviously another cause. Possibly a mild food allergy? I know you feed good stuff, but it's amazing what they can be irritated by sometimes. *Eyeroll*

I can't speak to the eye/ear related thing, no experience there.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

the only dirty thing she gets into is the litterbox. Nothing much dirty or dusty in the Happy Room. Maybe the dust from that, but I tend to think it is due to the Herpes virus - same as Missy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Cat

Peter's ear gookies are caused by environmental allergies. The vet says he is allergic to dust mites. A HEPA vacuum and regular vacuuming and cleaning of pillows and linens where dustmites can hide have reduced the ear gookies a lot for him, though occasionally they still creep up on me. I can't speak to the eye issues. He does get eye gookies if I don't keep the house clean enough, but only a little bit of them.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I just love this girl and if I thought she would not be properly cared for later in life it would kill me.
..but *YOU'LL* be the one caring for her, won't you?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
the only dirty thing she gets into is the litterbox. Nothing much dirty or dusty in the Happy Room. Maybe the dust from that, but I tend to think it is due to the Herpes virus - same as Missy.
Three of my guys definitely have the herpes virus, but no ear gunk...I've never seen that as a listed symptom on the herpes yahoo group either. *shrugs* Dunno, it could be.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Waxy blackish brownish gook? Might be a yeast infection...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Premier Cat

Neelix had pretty dirty ears when I adopted him. I was concerned about ear mites but once we got him home and Book gave him a really good c leaning they were fine and never got gross again.

I wouldn't borrow trouble, not that you've cleaned them I'd give it a month or two and see how they look. If they are gross again... THEN you can start wondering what's up. She might just be young and not cleaning them effectively and not have anyone grooming them for her.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 01:51 AM
Premier Cat

Celia's always got a little gunk in her eyes, but I always figured it's because she never seems to clean her face. She'll let me clean her eyes though. Her ears are always unbelievably gunky whenever we go to the vet, but there hasn't been any suggestion of herpes or any relationship between the ear and eye gunk. It can take the vet 8-10 Qtips to get her ears even close to clean if it's been a while, but I can't clean them. She's too wriggly, and her ears seem to be really small and the fur covers the opening so I can't see anything.

She doesn't have ear mites; I was told that some cats just seem to have naturally really waxy ears. I always wonder, though, if it's related to really severe ear mites she had before I adopted her.

Polly is just getting more and more adorable - even with the goopy ears!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow;2114866[SIZE=4
].[/SIZE] She might just be young and not cleaning them effectively and not have anyone grooming them for her.
Now this makes perfect sense to me. She was an only kitten, less than 3 weeks old found along or near a highway and never really grooms anyone else nor does anyone groom her. When she snoozes with anyone, it's just that, sleeping. No mutual grooming. Good idea to just wait and see if all this comes back fairly quickly. May take years and years of observation though.

She is naturally sneezy like Lacey is, so maybe it is allergies or something like that. My mind just wanders off the happy place reservation with her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page