Pork as a novel protein - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Pork as a novel protein

Is there a reason why pork isn't an ingredient in most cat foods?
I found an elimination diet with pork that she actually eats, so I'm wondering if that is a good idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Pork is fine, it's been gaining some popularity. Hound & Gatos makes a pork canned food. It's very soft and quite pungent.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Yes, it's quite smelly. Thank you for the quick reply. I'll put her on that for some time and see if symptoms calm down a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
I don't know why pork isn't used more widely in canned foods. I feed it in occasionally in the raw diet I make for my cats and dogs. I suspect, though, that the pork used in pet foods is very fatty, so that may have something to do with its minimal utilization.

Laurie
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

The H&G pork is pretty hefty in fat, but not more so than some of the other high fat foods like EVO. There are a lot of pork choices in dog food, not so much in cat food...I think most companies are hung up on poultry and fish for cats...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Banned

Raw pork is actually my Sunny's favorite protein - he will choose it first every time it's offered, and clear it all before he goes to whatever else is on the menu lol. I give it to him quite frequently (along with chicken, turkey and beef heart) and he's never had a problem with it. I do use lean cuts though, not too fatty.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Cool Cat

what a coincidence. i was just wondering about pork myself recently, but i did notice on the ingredient list on the back of the nature's variety raw food that pork is included in some of their flavors - like the rabbit one at least. i thought maybe they were all scared of it because of worms or something. haven't they always warned people at least about eating raw pork because of worms? i dunno.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Trichonosis can be a potential problem in pork, but freezing pork for at least 21 days prior to feeding it kills trich. So always freeze pork for at least 3 weeks before feeding it raw, just to be on the safe side. The same holds true for game meats.

Laurie
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trichinosis from commercially raised pork has all but been pretty much wiped out in the US. The CDC receives about 20 cases per year and those generally originate from wild game meats.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page