How do you tell if a cat is fixed? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How do you tell if a cat is fixed?

So yesterday there was a young cat (older than 6 months I think) in our yard. I went outside to get a closer look at it. It seemed like it was coming closer to me, but I stepped wrong and it bolted. Today both me and my dad saw it in our driveway.

I'm not sure if anyone owns it or not. I don't think the neighbors right next door let their cats out anymore since one got killed. There's only one other outdoor cat that I'm sure of and that one doesn't look like this at all. Keep in mind that we live in the woods on the outskirts of the city. We own 30 acres of woods and are surrounded by even more. There aren't really many people here to own the cat. My dad said that it seemed wild.

Now my question is is there a way to tell if a cat is fixed without getting a hold of it? I figure males are obviously easier to figure out, but I didn't get a good look at the cat.

This is mostly out of curiosity. If the cat sticks around for awhile, I may look into getting it trapped and fixed if it doesn't seem to be anyone's. And if it is a stray, I don't know how long it'd survive out here. We've got a lot of coyotes and foxes (including a mangy/rabid one).

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

If it was part of a TNR (trap, neuter, release) program the tip of the ear is cut off when the procedure is done to be able to identify cats that have already had it done. If the ear isn't tipped, then as you said, boys are easier but there's really no way to tell with girls unless you see her acting like she's in heat. Sometimes even shaving the belly looking for a scar isn't conclusive...I heard of a cat where the belly was shaved, couldn't find scar but when they did the surgery there was nothing to take out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

That's what I figured. It's unlikely they're doing TNR up here. There's a feral cat problem in the city, but not really up here.

How exactly would a female in heat act? I guess it's easier to tell when the cat is an indoor cat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

A video will give you a much better idea about how a cat in heat acts than me explaining it...go to Youtube and search on "cat in heat", there are a ton of videos.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Cat

Yeah- really friendly, loud... videos will explain better than I can.

Some vets will tattoo fixed cats as well to give you an easy visual. I thought it was only females but our one male (white) has a tattoo - he was a little androgynous as a kitten though so that could explain it. You could check the belly (if you can get close enough) for a blue or green line.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I looked at some videos and it doesn't seem to hard to figure out if it's in heat or not.

I don't know how easy it'd be to spot a tattoo on this cat. It's a dark brown/gray tabby.

Hopefully next time I see it, I have my glasses on. I couldn't really get a good look at it.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Premier Cat

Tattoos are hard to see once the fur grows back. The only way to tell on a female is to look for a spay scar or shave and look for a scar/tattoo. Not all vets tattoo. The other way as others have said is to look for signs of being in heat, but not all cats react the same to being in heat. A scar or not is really the only way with females.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page