My new to me 5 month old cat - food questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My new to me 5 month old cat - food questions

This is Shadow. Story is, is that my college friend has a cat named George. Now George got pregnant and had a litter of 4. They already have 2 cats and were looking to re home Lovelace (I changed the name to shadow) any advice is appreciated as she is my first cat. And she is a HUGE cuddler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140904_164203_1409885571888.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	69706  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Premier Cat

LOL!! I take it, that it was quite a surprise, when George...had kittens!!
Do you have any specific questions Matt??
Shadow is VERY Cute!:p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Well I have one main question. Food. So when I went to my friends house to pick her up my friends parrents were feeding the cats "atta cat" now I am familiar with Atta boy dog food and I know it's just awful for your little fur buddies. So now I am feeding her iams proactive health. And at night I'm giving her wet food I got from a local store. friskies I think it's called? Is that okay to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Premier Cat

Matt,
Ahhhh Yes, food!!
This is important for cats health, and you are correct about the "Atta Cat", not being nutritionally sound...

Be prepared for some "differences" of opinion on the Friskies canned...the original pates are the best in their line for feeding, stay away from gravy kind, and fish, a little fish once in a while, like once a week, is OK, it's because of PCB's and mercury, mostly in the fish.

Iam's, I think...is more money than it's worth....
There are other "Foodies" on the forum that are Extremely Knowledgeable about the Name/ Brands and Nutritional specifics of the different foods...

If you use the Search function on the forum, and key in "Cat diet" or "Cat foods", you will find a TON of information!
I hope some of our resident "Foodies" help you out!
I'm still learning to!
Good Luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you, I appreciate it Sharon.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 AM
Premier Cat

Personally, I'd upgrade the Friskies to something like Authority and feed more canned than dry. I also think the Iams is not worth the $$$ so cut back on that to almost nothing or maybe 1/4 cup once a day. A diet of mostly wet (canned) is much better in the long run than dry anything. Look for the first ingredient to be meat of some sort with dry food. I would not feed any dry food where the first ingredient is corn.

AttaCat:
INGREDIENT STATEMENT:
Ground Yellow Corn
, Poultry By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Ground Wheat, Liver Digest, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed-Tocopherols – source of Vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Canola Oil, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Phosphoric Acid, Flaxseed Meal, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bisulphate, Dried Carmel Color, Potassium Chloride, Red Iron Oxide, Yellow Iron Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A-Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Inositol, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The nearest pet store to me is 55 miles away. So it's hard to get quality food
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
Matt,

Congratulations on your entrance into the wonderful world of feline servitude. In case you haven't figured it out yet, the lovely Shadow will teach you which of you is the servant in short order.

The following link (and the links you'll find within that thread) will provide you with a pretty thorough education about feline nutrition. I strongly recommend you read it:

https://www.catforum.com/forum/38-hea...-dry-diet.html

If you haven't already gotten these critical health concerns addressed, make sure you get Shadow her vaccinations and get her spayed ASAP. Don't do them at the same time, though. Separate her vaccinations from her spay by at least a week or two, no matter what your vet may tell you. Also, separate her vaccinations from each other by a week or two. Don't allow your vet to give her a rabies shot at the same time as another vaccination. Spread them out. It's safer and healthier for her that way.

Back to the food question - there are a number of websites online where you can order higher quality cat foods, often for significantly less than you would buy them at a brick and mortar store. But when you buy online, you generally have to buy canned foods by the case. You can buy kibble by the bag, though, if you decide to continue feeding dry after reading through the link above. If you order online, several of the pet food sites offer free shipping if you meet their order minimum (usually around $49). You can often find discount coupon codes for the pet food sellers, as well, with a Google search. Some of my favorite online pet food sellers are:

Pet360.com is the Ultimate Destination for Pet Parents - Pet360 Pet Parenting Simplified
Pet Supplies: cat and dog food, toys, treats | Pet products from PetFlow.com
Doggiefood.com - Dog, Cat, & Pet Food, Treats, Food & Supplies - Free Shipping

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page