Toby doesn't drink water. Concerned about future health. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Toby doesn't drink water. Concerned about future health.

The only water Toby get is from his food, plus what I add. Toby has absolutely zero thirst drive.

He gets about 1/4 cup canned, twice a day. (500 Kcal seem to be what a cat his size should get). At 70% water that's 2.8 oz. I add about another 1/4 - 1/2 cup water on top; any more than that and he won't finish his food or the added water.

So, on a good day, if he finishes all his food and water, this 14 lb cat get maybe 10 oz of water. I read they should drink about 1 oz for every pound of weight. I If I give him only the canned he'll eat more of it, thus getting more water, but anything over the 500 Kcal (1/2 cup) and he starts getting bigger.

I've tried fountains, including a recommended one. No help. He's not afraid of it, he just doesn't care. He'll even walkk right up to it and put his nose to the water but that's it.

I'm concerned about his long term health with only averaging 8 oz or less per day. Yes he'l drink canned tuna water diluted in water but I can't give him a diet of that every day.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, 10 oz. of water a day sounds like a LOT! Some cats on wet food drink very little. Where did you read that 1 oz. for every pound tidbit?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Cat

My little guy who was very young when I got him didn't drink for the first five months, even now, he doesn't drink much and has a funny way of drinking. My littlest girl also hardly drinks. If he was thirsty he would drink. I would worry too much, as long as he's eating his wet food and having regular bowel movements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:38 AM
Cat

I really don't know how much exactly a cat should have per day (I feel like this is something I should know...) but according to several different articles I just looked at, it seemed like 10 oz was the average recommended number.

Hmm. I was going to suggest a water fountain, as I got one just last Wednesday and 2 out of my 4 love it, but like you said, he's not interested. My cat goes nuts whenever I have a glass of water for myself with sticking his head in it and drinking, but that would probably just encourage bad behavior! Maybe it's worth a shot?

☆ ☆ ☆
"time spent with cats is never wasted."
[
edgar | michonne | novalee | oliver | kosmo | pumpkin ] <--- my cats
[ grumpy | big poppa | lily | cj | peanut ] <--- my ferals

Last edited by marie73; 09-06-2014 at 02:45 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator

I'm looking at the bottle of water next to me. There's no way all three of my girls combined drink 10 oz. a day.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

I'm confused....he's getting 4 oz of canned food a day? And that's 500 calories? What food is that...at best a 5.5 oz can is between 200-250 calories, most being closer to 200. Or is he getting dry too?

With a caloric need of 500 cal/day, he should be eating 2 1/3 cans per day (using 215 cal/5.5 oz can). That would be 12.8 oz...which would be 9 oz of water.

If you're trying to make up for feeding dry...that's the inherent problem...it's virtually impossible to do.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Sorry, my bad memory. I meant to say about 250 kcal per day. - I've read estimates of anywhere from 20 to 30 kcal per lb. of body weight

EVO 95 has about 504 kcal per 13.2 oz can. He gets about a little less than half a can (any more than that and he starts getting bigger).
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks all. Silly me, I listened to my vet, who as we know, may be a fine vet, are usually under-trained in nutrition.

I should have researched a bit more. I guess I should have searched a bit better first. Yes, the 7-8 oz of water (including wet food content) seems to be plenty based on my reading. This might also expainw he never drink any additional from his water bowl or fountain.

Last edited by hal1; 09-06-2014 at 11:11 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

OK...good. It didn't even occur to me to question the 500 cal/day requirement as Kobi has been eating about 400 (due to malabsorption), figured maybe Toby's energy level and metabolism are off the charts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Premier Cat

As long as he's got a shiny coat, bright eyes, and eliminates with no problems I wouldn't worry too much.

If you're adding water to his food and he's eating canned I think he's getting enough to cover his needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page