Sick, not eating,vomiting. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Sick, not eating,vomiting.

One of my cats has been vomiting/not eating for the past 2 days however, I think it may have started earlier in the week. I woke up to find a pile of undigested food Tuesday morning.

I took her to the vet yesterday morning. They did blood-work in the office and everything came back normal. I was concerned about dehydration (vet said that she was not) so the gave her sub-Q fluids as a precaution. Vet gave her a appetite stimulant and some meds to calm her stomach.

She is still not eating and has vomited 3 times today. She is very quiet and going off on her own which is very unusual behavior for her. She is normally a very active and talkative cat.

I haven't seen her use the litter box but I do have one on each floor so she might have used the one in the basement. I found her down there after searching the whole house. This is also very unusual as she is not a cat who hides.

Her sister is fine. Eating and using the litter box etc. They have both been eating the same food. The both got a dose of Revolution on Wednesday and I thought maybe she licked it off of her sister but then I remembered waking up to vomit Tuesday morning although I don't know for sure which cat did it.
The vet did not think the Revolution would cause her to be sick.

I don't know if she has a fever (They didn't take her temperature,at least not anally) and they did not ask for a stool sample. I didn't even think about it at the time but now I'm thinking those things should have been done.

I think I should take her back in first thing Monday morning however I am looking for advice/suggestions on how to keep her comfortable and what to try to feed her. I got kitten milk replacement , tried cooked chicken breast, tried several different kinds of canned food (I feed her only canned TikiCat chicken) tuna, baby food and even two different brands of dry food. She won't touch any of it. Her sister however, is enjoying the buffet.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Premier Cat

Meggie,
Could she be constipated?
Could she have swallowed something she shouldn't have...
Medication or object??
Does her belly feel hard?

Do you have a rectal thermometer?
Her temperature shouldn't be over 102 degrees...that's the high end of "normal" for a cat...
I'm surprised the vet didn't check that!

What I'd be concerned about is not eating...
Yet if she's got a blockage in her intestine, that could be the worse thing to do, to try and force feed her...
Hope others have some ideas...
I think I'd be calling an Emergency Vet!
All Paws Crossed for you and her!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Vet said her belly felt normal. I don't think she ate/swallowed/chewed anything.
The only thing that came to mind was the Revolution. Vet didn't seem to be concerned about that.
I didn't think of constipation. Would her belly feel hard if she was?

I really should have a rectal thermometer, I'm ashamed to say that I do not.
Will a human thermometer do or should I run to Petsmart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Premier Cat

Meggie,
Rectal thermometers are the safest to use, they're built stronger...
A human rectal thermometer works great and they have some digital ones that only take a few short seconds, to get a reading.

Having a hard belly could be indicative of either a blockage, things not moving and backing up, or from something she swallowed and blocked up from...
And you may not always feel a hard belly, for something like that, to be happening...
That's why I'm thinking and Emergency Vet for an X-ray...
ALL Paws Crossed for you and her!
(((Hugs)))
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:42 PM
Cat Addict

I second Sharon's advice.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Senior Cat

My cat had a reaction to revolution. Sort of similar, vomiting, no appetite and lethargic. It lasted only for a couple of days though. Have you used it on them before? If it was the first time it could be a possibility, but I'd be heading to the e-vet for an xray too. If it's a blockage of some sort, the sooner you know, the better. Keep us posted please.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

They've both and the Revolution for about a year and a half (they will be 2 next month)
never had a reaction. However, it is very possible that she was grooming her sister and ingested the drug by mouth. The vet said that it could upset her stomach but it is a safe drug and shouldn't be toxic.

They did both go through something similar when the were about 6 months old; Vomiting,diarrhea, anorexia. Had them both x-rayed,blood test, medicated,follow-up appointment etc. It started with one and 48 hours later the other one. Both had it a week then like that they were back to normal. Vet said it was probably a stomach bug.

I wondered if I brought something home from the shelter where I volunteer. I do shower and change clothes right away but my son who was with me isn't as careful with his dirty clothes.

Back to the vet or the E-Vet for second opinion. Thank you all for the advice.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 01:28 AM
Premier Cat

When my kittens weren't eating or are vomitting, someone suggested sprinkling some Slippery Elm Bark powder on their food. It is just a natural herbal remedy and I found capsules in the grocery store natural food section. It worked...my little girl who was refusing all food suddenly started eating again. It apparently coats the digestive system so food doesn't irritate any passages.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 AM
Premier Cat

Try enticing her with tuna or you could get some fish flakes from an Asian market and sprinkle them on. She probably just has a tummy bug and it will pass. I see this all the time at the shelter. We usually let it run it's course unless it gets REALLY bad. Normally will be over in a few days. You could also try syringing some watered down pate' cat food into her mouth. I've never had luck doing this with adult cats, but with kittens it is pretty easy.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

She looked so pitiful very early this morning and as I was getting dressed and ready to take her into the ER I realized that her sister was no where to be found. That is very unusual because she is the first one to ask for breakfast. I put out their food and called her to come eat. Normally she will come running full speed as soon as she hears the word "eat". She wanted absolutely nothing to do with food. So now that I have two girls refusing food I am suspecting its a stomach bug.

The other cat hasn't thrown up but she is very quiet and hasn't used the litter box.
I decided to hold off on the ER for now. I did manage to get each of them to eat about a teaspoon full of canned kitten food. They both kept it down.

They both went outside on the screened-in porch for a bit. They're not really sleeping but just kinda hanging out in the kitchen with me. Food is just sitting there and every once in a while they'll go sniff it and walk away.

I will be running out to the market so I will look for the fish flakes and the slippery Elm bark. I would rather try something natural than force the bitter meds down their throats

Thanks for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page