How to medicate a cat... - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Kitten

I had to give eye drops to a cat that does not enjoy being forced into physical contact at all. After two days of my partner and I pinning her down and getting most of the stuff over her face instead of in her eye, I found this method described online:

Get a hoodie or sweater or something with elasticated wrists.

Shove cat in hoodie towards one of the sleeves.

Pull sleeve down over the cat so their face pokes out of the end.

Cat can now not move their legs, and if the wristband is narrow enough, shouldn't be able to hook a paw through a drag themselves out.

Congratulations, you have a cat sausage. Position wherever feels most comfortable (I had mine on her back for the eye drops) and do what you need to do.

You can do this solo and don't need to spare a hand to keep a blanket wrapped round the cat while you try and administer medicine, and it's over pretty quickly so minimises stress to the cat. Would probably work for oral administration too.

When you're done you can either pull the sleeve so the cat comes out backwards, or stretch the wristband/cuff bit so they can wriggle out forwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Kitten

My cats don't like tablets! For those of you living in the UK I heartily recommend Waitrose "7 deli snack sticks rick in chicken". I break the sticks into 1cm lengths and tear them so they resemble a little hot dog bun. Place the tablet (usually 1/4d) inside and press it flat. Hold it to kitty's mouth and stick and tablet are gone. Repeat as required. Therese our 16 year old calls me nightly around 9.00PM to have hers these days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page