Cat Forum banner

How long before cats bowels back to normal

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mandy and Ellie 
#1 ·
Hi our cat Mildred who is 2 years old hadn't ate for a week she was urinating but she was really poorly which included being sick daily so we took her to the vet this was after 3 days,
her kidney levels were high and they thought she may have a blockage in the intestine, we took her home but she got no better, we then took her to another vet who gave her an antibiotic and anti sickness injections, she still got no better so the vets admitted her and had her on a drip for 24 hours
she was really distressed and difficult to handle which is another story. When we got her home (Sunday night) she went straight in the litter tray and had a poo which was great, since then she's been eating everything we've gave her has been urinating but no poo yet, should we worried she hasn't pooed since that day or will bowel movements be all out of sync and take a while to get back to normal

Thanks

#2 ·
Since she didn't eat for a long time, she probably completely cleaned herself out. It will probably take a while before she poops again.

#4 ·
Mildred has pooped what a relief we still have no idea why she became so poorly we've checked the poop no sign of anything being blocked we are now wondering if she was dehydrated or something as the drip she was on seemed to cure whatever it was wrong with her, we are now wondering how to get her to drink water as she doesn't seem to do that regularly
Thanks

#5 ·
Do you have a water fountain? Most cats prefer running water. It's made my two girls drink SO much more! Here's one that's really nice and affordable: Amazon.com : Catit Design Senses Fountain with Water Softening Cartridge : Pet Self Waterers : Pet Supplies

I'm glad to hear Mildred pooped and seems to be feeling better! :D Really hope it continues! Also, is Mildred on dry or wet food? Wet food is a GREAT way to get a significant amount of added moisture in a cat's diet. It keeps their whole system running so much better. Dry food leads to dehydration, which causes an array of health issues.

#9 ·
Do you have a water fountain? Most cats prefer running water. It's made my two girls drink SO much more! Here's one that's really nice and affordable: Amazon.com : Catit Design Senses Fountain with Water Softening Cartridge : Pet Self Waterers : Pet Supplies

I'm glad to hear Mildred pooped and seems to be feeling better! :D Really hope it continues! Also, is Mildred on dry or wet food? Wet food is a GREAT way to get a significant amount of added moisture in a cat's diet. It keeps their whole system running so much better. Dry food leads to dehydration, which causes an array of health issues.
Thanks for sharing that fountain! I need to get one of those for Jasper. I'm constantly worried he doesn't drink enough. There's four bowls of water placed near all his favorite spots throughout my house.

#11 ·
Great! You're so welcome, I hope Mildred keeps doing better and better! <3 :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing that fountain! I need to get one of those for Jasper. I'm constantly worried he doesn't drink enough. There's four bowls of water placed near all his favorite spots throughout my house.
You're so welcome! I have one by the same brand but am buying this one for my kitties for Christmas. My cats are fascinated by moving water! I catch them drinking plenty of times a day. I can't imagine them drinking from a boring dish again, haha. :mrgreen:

#7 ·
The best and easiest way to get more fluid into her gut on a regular basis is to feed her an exclusively canned or homemade diet - NO kibble. Kibble is dehydrating, while canned or homemade will provide a lot more dietary moisture. That's the best and most natural way to promote proper hydration.

Laurie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.