I need help with feeding (picky eater) Crisco - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I need help with feeding (picky eater) Crisco

Crisco is 5 1/2 months old. I had a big problem with loose stool with him for a while when I first got him, and finally got everything back to normal by switching him to Instinct limited ingredients food. The problem I am having now is he seems to be a very picky eater, and he is bored with his food. He just picks at his wet food the las few days. I know he is healthy and it is just wet food boredom, because I give him 1/8 cup of kibble at night and he usually finishes it all. The problem is with the wet food which I feed him during the day. I tried crumbling a little freeze dried on top and that seemed to work for a bit but now he is bored with that also. I don't want to start mixing foods again because of the problem with the loose stool when I tried to feed him a variety before. I read about using grated cheese. I tried that tonight and he ate most of his food. Is grated cheese safe to use on his wet food? I might try another flavor of the Instinct after I get back from vacation. My daughter will be staying with Crisco for a week starting Saturday, so I don't want to make any big changes before I leave.
Any suggestions on what I can do to get him to eat more? Should I just stick with the Instinct wet and try different toppers? What about a little chicken broth on top? Any other suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Premier Cat

How about if you slowly introduce the new food? You could mix a small portion of the new food in with the LID food, and see how his stool looks for a few days? Adding in probiotics to his food could help with food transitions, too. Since the NV brand seems to be doing well so far, I'd probably stick to that brand for now and try a different protein. That way, the formulation isn't way off, and can help you figure out if he's sensitive to a particular protein or if it's the additives in some types of canned that causes him GI upset.

I've never tried using cheese as toppers--some cats are lactose intolerant, so I'm not entirely confident this will help his stomach, and cheese tends to be high in sodium. A tiny sprinkle may not hurt, if it's a temporary basis. But be forewarned, some cats can drive you bonkers every time YOU want to eat cheese, lol.

Chicken broth can also help, but again it would have to be one without sodium, so homemade broth? The other thing is though, if it was the chicken that causes him to have loose stools, adding the broth could backfire on you. How about using homemade beef broth?

Keeping a food diary of Crisco's meals can help you figure out what may have been causing his issues, whether it's the actual protein or additives in certain types of canned food.

Hope you keep us informed!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:24 AM
Cool Cat

I was feeding Amelia mostly wet with a bit of dry. Then, she began favoring the dry and avoiding the wet. It was as if she was holding off until I would break down and give her the dry. Then, I switched her to all wet and she now gobbles up the wet food at every meal. Could this be the problem with Crisco? Could he be waiting you out to see if he will get more dry? I don't know...I could be way off but it's a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

My main concern at this point is we are leaving on vacation for a week on Saturday. I am a worried mama that he will be acting like this while I'm away and won't eat. I don't want anything to happen to him while Im away. My daughter will be taking care of him while we are away but she doesn't see what I see. I have been feeding him 1/8 cup of dry at night. In the morning he wants no part of his wet food. I am not sure at what point he is eating the dry. It could be very early morning and his tummy is just full. I might try skipping the dry and see if he is hungrier in the morning for his wet food. I might also try a different NV protein, but I only have a few days to figure something out. This might sound like a stupid question but can a cat just refuse to eat and starve himself? Am I just worrying too much?I f he is just being stubborn will he still eat if he is very hungry?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Premier Cat

What about replacing his 1/8 c overnight kibble with late night dinner feeding with canned? At his age, he still needs to eat at least 3 meals, so maybe providing wet food before bedtime is the answer?

Is your daughter staying over at your house for the duration you're away? Cats unfortunately will starve themselves and going a few days without can cause liver issues, so it's important you get your little guy to eat.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Cat

Honestly, if I were in your position, I wouldn't try any big changes before you leave for the week. Cats can and will starve themselves, and he'll be even more reluctant to eat since his mom will be away. Just a thought, but you may want to tell your daughter that if he doesn't eat his wet food, he should be given extra dry food. While dry food isn't optimal, you know he'll eat it, and cats can go rapidly downhill if they're not eating. Especially at his age, he should be eating quite a bit of food (my 5 month old eats almost twice as much as my adult cats).

Once you're back from vacation, you can try not giving him kibble, to see if he'll eat the wet when he's hungry. Not sure which formula of the NV LID you're using, but they make four or five I think, though I haven't seen the venison in stores lately. My cats like the rabbit the best, the venison and turkey they weren't too thrilled about. You may want to try NV's frozen food. It is extremely popular with my cats- they even try to eat it when it's still frozen. There's a chicken version and rabbit version. It sounds like you've tried the freeze dried crumble trick, which generally works like a charm for me. If he's bored of the freeze dried, have you tried other flavors of that? NV makes freeze dried treats and 'mixers' in rabbit, chicken, and duck. The rabbit especially is a huge hit with my crew, even my pickiest ones.

I've used the cheese trick with varying success, some cats love it and some don't- if it's working, I'd keep doing it, just monitor him for vomiting and stools (which it sounds like you're already doing). Probiotics can also work as both an attractant and to help with stomach issues, BUT... One of my more sensitive cats has had reactions to the Fortiflora probiotic. Vomiting and severe (almost uncontrollable) diarrhea. So again, I'd use with moderation and monitor carefully.

Hopefully some part of this is helpful to you... I sympathize, I've been in the 'she liked this food two days ago, why won't she eat it now?!' boat many times.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

He is such a picky eater. He has been since the day we adopted him. I am also leaning towards leaving out more dry food while i am away. I know it's a step backwards, but I am so afraid of him not eating, and my daughter not realizing it because Cali, my daughter"s cat, will eat from Crisco's dish if your not watching. My daughter lives with me so she will be here in the house, except while she is at work. I monitor everything, maybe even more than I should sometimes. My daughter, 21, is not as diligent as I am. I think I'd rather deal with his food issues when I get back, even if it's getting him off the kibble and feeding more wet food again. At least I will know that he is eating while I am away. Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I just don't understand why he doesn't gobble up his food.

Last edited by marie73; 09-04-2015 at 03:14 AM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Tabbcat yes my daughter will be staying here. I am going to try giving him a late night wet meal, and not give the kibble to see how hungry he is in the morning. I went to get the duck formula of the LTD today for him to try. I fed it to him for dinner and he ate a few bites and walked away. I am finding this all so frustrating. How can he not be hungry? He is gaining weight and growing so all of this is just a mystery to me. He is the first kitten I have ever adopted. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have been leaving the wet down for a bit because he is such a picky and slow eater. I have never leave kibble out for him during the day. He never finishes the wet I give him and I don't give him too much at a feeding. I think I give him about 2 large over sized tablespoons 3x a day and the 1/8 C of kibble at night. Maybe I should just pick up the wet food immediately if he doesn't eat it and let him wait for the next feeding? The vet and breeder are no help because they both told me to just leave the kibble out at all times. I am afraid if I leave kibble down he would never eat the wet.

Last edited by marie73; 09-04-2015 at 03:14 AM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Here is an update from yesterday. I tried to give him a late night wet food meal. He wanted no part of it. I did not give him any kibble thinking he would be very hungry this morning. I gave him his wet food this morning and again he wanted no part of it. I took a little tuna water and sprinkled it on top and he ate maybe a tbs. I put a little more tuna water on top of the rest and he licked the tuna water off and walked away! This is sooo frustrating! On a side note he is acting normal. peeing and had a BM. Wish I could figure this out before Saturday when I leave. If I can't, which I probably won't, I will be forced to leave more kibble out and this not only effects Crisco but Cali too. Cali was a die hard kibble fantatic and it took me months to get her on wet food.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Premier Cat

Oh man, what a picky kitten you have! First off, try to relax a bit. Cats will feel your anxiety, so please try to take a deep breath, go out for a walk, watch something funny, meditate for a few minutes, or do whatever to help you take your mind off Crisco's eating for a while, and make time for yourself to decompress a bit from this whole situation.

Ok, so we've figured out Crisco absolutely loves his kibbles. It's expected, honestly. I don't think there are a lot of kitties that don't. But this can be a good thing, because you've now figured out what he LOVES to eat. Go on and crush the kibbles into crumbs, and use that sparingly to sprinkle some on his wet food, perhaps mix some into it if it gets him to eat it all. As long as he eats the wet food/kibble crumb combo within about 30-40 minutes, I think it's fine. Just don't leave it out for hours, and give smaller portions to see if that helps.

I think I remember you have Fortiflora? Though it's not really great ingredients, using it temporarily to get Crisco to eat his wet food can also help. A lot of dry kibbles are sprayed on with animal digest anyway, that's usually the special ingredient to get cats to love dry food so much.

As Skyrun has also mentioned, you could also try adding in different freeze dried meats as toppers or some mixed into his wet food, too. I've used many types, Stella & Chewy's dinners come in big bags which also comes in turkey, duck, and chicken. I use a few dry pebbles and sprinkle them on to G's raw food to help him eat or finish his meal. (He's my picky cat). S&C is pricey, but for a big bag, it lasts a LONG time. Other good brands are from NV, even Orijen makes some freeze dried treats in various mixed proteins. (You may want to avoid their original formulation which contains chicken, I liked the Regional Red and Wild Boar for its ingredients, kitties loved the Boar.) I also keep rotating my cat's food (canned, raw meats, and freeze dried treats) so that prevents boredom. It's not cheap, but I do use these treats sparingly, so you could buy a few small bags to switch it up a bit as well.

Freeze Dried Cat Treats | Orijen
https://www.stellaandchewys.com/prod.../freeze-dried/
https://www.stellaandchewys.com/prod.../freeze-dried/

Hope this helps some. Remember to take deep breaths, keep positive, relaxed, and not worry too much. I know that's hard to do, so I'm sending extra positive vibes to you both. Let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page