Tiki Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Tiki Cat

Being a new Ragdoll mummy, and feeling quite overwhelmed by the amount of cat food available on the market, I started of by asking the breeder about Mochi's diet. She recommended Pro Plan for her diet and to feed only canned food; the girl at PetSmart pointed me to Grain Free products... so now I have a cupboard of 10 different brands/flavor/protein grain free cat food.

Luckily, Mochi (13 weeks old) is not a picky eater, she'll eat anything I feed her. She enthusiastically eats duck/turkey/rabbit/beef/fish with no particular preference for one or the other.

Still, I wasn't satisfied with just buying her grain-free products. Craving for more information on quality cat food, I came on to this forum and spent the last few days lurking and educating myself on anything cat food related.

I have learned that it is best to steer away from fish, ingredient such as carragenan, as well as high carb products (DM Carb < 10%) - and of course, no dry food.

I started compiling a list of food and treats that fits the above criteria and there is only a few things that ticked all boxes:
  • Weruva
  • Nature's Variety Instinct
  • Tiki cat
  • PureBites & Simply Nourish as treats (Freeze dried food only)

Living in Richmond BC (Canada), I cannot find the Tiki Cat Koolina and Puka Puka (chicken); does anyone know where I can purchase these? And can you recommend any other food for Mochi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:38 AM
Cool Cat

Unfortunately, I don't know where to purchase those in Canada. But I did want to touch on one thing - Weruva and Tiki Cat are great foods. But they're quite low in calories, so you'll have to feed more. Tiki Cat may actually be higher in calories than Weruva, but I do believe it's still a little lower than average.

Nature's Variety Instinct is one of my favorites (and my cat's, lol). My girls are also loving Wild Calling. They have a ton of different protein sources - rabbit, buffalo, duck, etc. and is a mushy pate texture which my cats adore.

Personally, I feed a constant rotation to my cats, but some staples currently are Wild Calling and NV Instinct. They're two of the "healthiest" foods my girls will actually eat! My girls also LOVE Tiki Cat and B.F.F. (made by Weruva), but I hate how much seafood is in their foods and have a hard time finding the chicken Tiki in stores.

By the way, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Ragdoll!

Last edited by Mandy and Ellie; 08-19-2015 at 01:40 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 02:25 AM
Premier Cat

Have you tried PetFood N More or tisol? You could also phone Elemental Canine or Bone and biscuit in Surrey...they carry the higher end foods as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Premier Cat

Most pet food company's websites have a store locator. Here's one for Tiki:

Gourmet Whole Pet Food | Store Locator | Petropics |

If you ever travel down south of the border to WA, you can be sure to find some here; I live in Seattle, and many small independent stores carry them in our area.

Since you're in BC, First Mate is another good brand. No gums/carrageenan but a bit of potatoes included, still under 10% carbs. Big "doggie sized" cans are the same formulation as for cats. I buy the chicken and turkey flavors only, no salmon or tuna.

Cat Food - FirstMate Pet Foods
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Tom Cat

i order all my food from chewy.com and i think they have every flavor of tiki there is. idk if they ship to canada though..

"even the smallest feline is a masterpiece", Leonardo Da Vinci
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy and Ellie View Post
Weruva and Tiki Cat are great foods. But they're quite low in calories, so you'll have to feed more. Tiki Cat may actually be higher in calories than Weruva, but I do believe it's still a little lower than average.
M&E is right, but Weruva's kcalories are significantly lower (esp. paw lickin chicken). If you compare Weruva's Paw Lickin' Chicken, Weruva's Fowl Ball, and Tiki's Koolina's Chicken, they all look very similar. However, you can compare nutritional analysis and kcal content here:

Gourmet Whole Food for Cats | Puka Puka Luau | Petropics |
http://www.weruva.com/downloads/Weru...verage-Cat.pdf
Weruva - People Food for Pets - Cats in the Kitchen Pouches - Nutrition Information

Unless your kitty is growing or has been diagnosed with CKD, hyperT or other illnesses that require a cat to maintain or gain weight, I don't think feeding one meal of Weruva's meals once in a while will hurt. If you feed it consistently over time longer periods though, you'll definitely need to supplement more food.

I always try to rotate my canned foods, some have more fatty ingredients, various protein content, etc; nutritional values will always differ. So I don't believe in sticking to one brand...same with raw food, some people swear by feeding an exclusive chicken or fowl diet, I feel they need more, so they get all kinds of dark meats that I can find.

Last edited by TabbCatt; 08-19-2015 at 06:58 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you for the responses. I tried the store locator on Tiki's website and it says 'no location found'.

I was hoping to let Mochi try a can first before I make a batch order online. Perhaps asking Tisol or Pet Food n More to do a special order maybe the route to go.

Thank you for reminding me about the low calorie count. My list has grown a little since I last posted:
  • Wild Calling (thank you Mandy and Ellie)
  • ZiwiPeak
  • Nutro Soft/Chunky Loaf - grain free

Since my girl isn't picky, and I cannot stand seeing the same can of food day and night, I want to compile a list of quality food so I can rotate it for Mochi's sake and for my own sanity!

Time to research on First Mate (thank you TabbCatt)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Tom Cat

Just curious when you say you rotate foods does that mean you feed something different every day, or do you feed the same protein/flavor more days in a row?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlapinta View Post
Just curious when you say you rotate foods does that mean you feed something different every day, or do you feed the same protein/flavor more days in a row?
I feed her something different almost everyday, depends if she has leftovers, then I'll mix it with something different again. Say, I opened a can of duck, after a day, she may have a bit of leftover food, then I'll open a different can (could be different brand and protein) and mix it with the old, and then she'll finish the new can. She never complained... Is this a bad thing for Mochi??

Last edited by Lady Mochi; 08-20-2015 at 04:29 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Lady Mochi,
Sounds like it works to me!:p
A cat that is eating, is a good thing! Especially canned!
A lot of us do this! Silly Picky Cats!!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page