Anyone Else Have a Cat With Allergies? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Anyone Else Have a Cat With Allergies?

Several times a summer, every summer, my indoor/outdoor cat Rocky gets squinty eye (one eye barely opens, the other is normal. Think its always the same eye.) This summer, I finally remembered to mention it to the vet during a wellness/vaccines visit (squinty eye had just resolved before the visit), and the vet started to say "actually, its probably not allergies, its more likely its [I think he started to say herpes?]" and then he looked in her eye, stopped what he was saying and said "actually, looks totally normal." She has real bad squinty eye again, and this time she is sneezing too.

By this point, I dont worry, having, in my mind, figured it out. Its actually kind of cute. But I do feel bad for her.

Anyone else in a similar situation? Do you actually do anything different because of it? (Keep the cat in?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Senior Cat

Hi ArtNJ

It's strange, my Aggie gets virtually the exact same symptoms. She got a squinty eye, sneezing a lot too. They said she was allergic, but didn't say to what, as the vet said it could be a number of different variables at home. Though, they gave her some vitamin supplements, what worked best was Vitamin B complex. The sneezing is only very rare now so I think it has helped.

Does Rocky have a good appetite? Aggie lost hers during the sneezing
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:03 AM
Cat

Both my older cats get what I call 'seasonal allergies.' On my kitties it manifests as something very similar to what I get for my seasonal allergies; runny/itchy eyes, a little bit of sneezing, etcetera. They also usually secrete more skin oil from their sebaceous glands, especially noticeable around the base of their tails... especially noticeable due to their white fur.

I don't do anything differently. I just monitor their eyes and noses to make sure things don't get out of control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Cats can take Benedryl, but talk to the vet about dosage. You might want to use l-lysine in case it is herpes (500 mg per day during flare up, 250 mg for maintenance). No reason you can't use both at the same time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by evince View Post
Hi ArtNJ

It's strange, my Aggie gets virtually the exact same symptoms. She got a squinty eye, sneezing a lot too. They said she was allergic, but didn't say to what, as the vet said it could be a number of different variables at home. Though, they gave her some vitamin supplements, what worked best was Vitamin B complex. The sneezing is only very rare now so I think it has helped.

Does Rocky have a good appetite? Aggie lost hers during the sneezing
Rocky doesnt usually get sneezing with the squinty eye -- usually the eye is the only symptom. This last time she did sniffle but not usually. It doesnt impact her appetite at all. Lasts 1-4 days at a time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Tom Cat

Yes. Saxon pulls his fur out, especially in summer. If I give him an antihistamine called cetirizine it stops, but then his tear ducts dry out and he gets gluey discharge. So now we've stopped the cetirizine and got an appointment with a veterinary ophthalmologist because we're getting tired of constantly going back to the vet for yet another eye drop prescription.
Who knew there was such a thing as an ophthalmologist for animals? One advantage to living near a university with a veterinary college, I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page