red patch - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

red patch

I am hoping someone will recognize this and tell me how to treat it, long story short is the cat was a stray I was feeding at work but decided to bring home.

Right away brought to humane society to get fixed, came home with what was later diagnosed as ring worm, I am sure she caught this crap at humane society.

Treated the ring worm with what they gave me, it eventually seemed to have gone away but this red patch around the one nipple will not go away, sometimes it is much redder and nastier looking, I think sometimes there may even be minute traces of blood/scabby.

This cat is without a doubt the happiest cat we have, she does not seem to be the least bit bothered by this area, I have never seen ANY thing to believe that there is any discomfort or I would have brought her back to the vet months ago.

Yes this has been going on for months with very subtle changes, sometimes it looks worse sometimes seems to be starting to clear up possibly.

Can anyone recognize what this might be and give me an idea how to get rid of it.

Cant justify spending money I dont have to take the cat to the vet since there appears to be no discomfort. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 034.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	93449  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Cats are experts at hiding pain and discomfort. I'd definitely be taking her to a vet for this, and I'm not one who readily says "vet."

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

She absolutely needs to go to the vet for that. I'm usually an advocate for "wait and see"...you've waited for months and see that it's not better. That has to be really uncomfortable.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Premier Cat

Me third! Vet please for her....
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Banned

Hi 1930 ! (and a belated welcome to the forum too !)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 View Post
This cat...does not seem to be the least bit bothered by this area, I have never seen ANY thing to believe that there is any discomfort or I would have brought her back to the vet months ago.
I think I've seen pictures of a type of infection that closely resemble what I'm seeing in your cat's picture....those pix were of a type of animal MRSA. MRSA in humans has its animal variations...the first time I saw it, it was MRSI....I've seen other references lately to MRSP. The only point is that these infections do come in different strains.

Now, this stuff's everywhere - it's on your and my skin and everyone else's. And, usually, it's harmless....unless/until the skin is broken and not sanitized soon enough to prevent this nasty from entering. IF this is what's going on, I wonder if it started with the spay incision site......

Anyways, maybe, maybe, maybe.....

Are you able to get her to the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine ? A few reasons for that suggestion:
  • they have a Dermatology specialty there - so the best-of-the-best teaching new Vets and Vets gaining their Board Certification in Dermatology....and
  • UF has a teaching hospital there....where you'll be able to access all of that...and
  • these small animal hospitals usually have a special fund, accessible when costs are prohibitive...and
  • I suspect it will be less expensive there than taking her through the usual process of seeing a Veterinary Dermatologist on your own...and
  • She would be best served by a competent Dermatologist...whether/not she actually has this type of infection
Here is the UF vet college hospital Dermatology page:Dermatology Small Animal Hospital College of Veterinary Medicine University of Florida Make sure you check out their amazing video on the "About Us" page!

OK....this is the article that introduced me (7 years ago!) to the 'MRSA thing' in animals (look at the pictures of the dog's lesions in the slideshow first...then decide if the reading could be valuable): Superbug bites dog / Drug resistant staph infections aren't just for humans anymore - SFGate

There's one 'side' issue....has she ever been tested for FIV/FELV? (immune-supressed cats would be more susceptible...and, it's useful to know a cat's status anyhow)

Now, here's something else - to be put in your 'back pocket' - in that article is a link to another story of animal-MRSA where medical honey was used to treat a resistant infection. I'm not suggesting at all that you try this (lest that were to make diagnosis more difficult) but so that you're aware of it - perhaps, though, present it to whoever ends up treating her - it seems like a useful tool (pretty remarkable, too!)

You should start treating her as if she were infectious...I'd separate her from the others until you can have her seen - and, I'd be extra careful with hand washing/sanitizing in the interim.....but, don't get paranoid, you could loose 'balance'.

From reading your posts, I know she's one of six....but, which one? She cannot remain anonymous! (a pic of her 'better side' would be nice, too!)

I hope some of that may help.

Last edited by marie73; 08-26-2015 at 07:55 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Have you taken your pet there? Do you have a contact number for them, I do not see it on the website link that you provided. Thanks for the time that you gave to make your post.

Last edited by marie73; 08-26-2015 at 12:41 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:46 AM
Banned

I have not taken any animal to that Vet College....I can only wish that I were close to one of these places - here's why.....

It is well known within the 'cat community' (us, not our cats) that these universities do have the very best people in veterinary medicine, the very best diagnostic equipment and will be "out front" of the rest of the Vet community by way of the most recent learnings/developments in veterinary sciences.

The page with the contact information/appointment making facts is here: Appointments Small Animal Hospital College of Veterinary Medicine University of Florida

I noticed that, for Dermatology appointments, the cat must be fasted...they also require vaccination records....

Has she had vaccinations since she's been with you?

If she has not, and if I were you, I wouldn't rush out now and get her vaccinated. Cats that are not 100% healthy should not be vaccinated until after they recover....now, that's a common, general rule of thumb....you'd be best advised to inquire about this when you speak with the hospital.

You're most welcome for the info...don't hesitate to post back with anything else!

Last edited by marie73; 08-26-2015 at 07:53 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Cool Cat

I'd be off to the vet, too.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Called and made an appointment only to find out this hospital is in Gainsville. 4 hr drive, no way that is happening. I thought this was a local hospital in Tampa or nearby. Thanks anyway
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 07:05 PM
Premier Cat

Don't give up 1930 - maybe there's another university with a vet program in Tampa??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page