1st Vet visit tomorrow - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

1st Vet visit tomorrow

Am getting anxious. Taking my 2 juvies to the vet for the first time tomorrow. No problems, just a "get to know you" visit as I haven't used a vet in years. Their last vet visit was in the spring prior to my adopting them.

I don't think I am going to have any problem getting them into the carrier as I purposely left it out since bringing them home in early June and they go in and out of it especially since I frequently give them treats in it. The carrier was always a problem with my former kitties. Always a battle and soooooo stressful. Trying to be smarter this time.

I am going to use some calming spray just prior to putting them inside which hopefully will help them during their ride. Fortunately, the vet is only a few minutes away.

Any other thoughts or helpful hints?

Devoted Mom to Lucy and Desi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:51 PM
Tom Cat

When you go to put them in their carrier do it rapidly and confidently. My younger cat Jasper never gives me any trouble, but his older brother Spot is wicked smart, and a carrier escape artist. He will stick his claws between the zippers and open it if you don't tie them together. If you hesitate in any way that's more than enough time for him to be out and on his merry way. I get everything ready, draw him near to the carrier, and pick him up and place him in as quickly as I can. This is easiest with two people. Good luck at the vets!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Cool Cat

I wish your babies a successful visit. They will be glad to have one another for support.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:36 PM
Premier Cat

It doesn't sound like you'll have any difficulties with them, but you might get in your own way if you're nervous, or if you hesitate, as TranquilityBlue said. Try to be calm and act like it's a normal day. If you need to pick them up to put them in the carrier, be confident so that they're reassured. Otherwise, they'll pick up on your anxiety, and they'll be anxious too. Then you might be doomed to chasing kitties around your house.

I think it's smart to take them to the vet even though nothing's wrong. When I adopted my cats, I took them to the vet immediately, even though they'd been checked out by the shelter. When I moved from upstate NY down here, I took them to the vet a month before the move to make sure they'd be ok, then I found a vet here and took them in a couple of weeks after we arrived. I think they thought I was crazy, lol. But I wanted to establish a relationship with the vet, have them meet my kitties and get a sense of their health so they had a baseline to work from.

Good luck tomorrow!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 AM
Premier Cat

I second Spirite's idea of checking the vet clinic out while your'e there, especially if you haven't gone to the same one in a long time or are taking your kitties to a new one. Here's a couple of links to few things to look for/ask while you're there:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/find-right-vet
Choosing a Veterinarian : The Humane Society of the United States

Hope it all goes well and you've picked a good vet; it can be terrible ordeal when you're in a dire situation and to find out your current vet sucks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Just got home. Everything went perfectly! They went right into their carrier to have some treats and easily closed the door. Neither ever made a peep the whole time. They were perfect kitties. Vet was very pleased with their conditions. Very healthy and well taken care of. Desi 9.7 lb and Lucy 7.9.

They were so good in their carrier that we made a stop on the way home. Of course, as soon as we got home and I opened the carrier door they were gone and under the bed.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

TabbCatt

I definitely checked out this vet beforehand. I liked her, her staff, and the atmosphere at the office. Sole practioner, not a mill. Good reviews.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:40 AM
Premier Cat

Yay! You're probably more relieved than they are!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:41 AM
Cool Cat

Oh that is wonderful news that the kids had a successful doctor's appointment. I'm glad to hear it went off without a hitch!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page