finally found a great wet food the whole pride loves! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

finally found a great wet food the whole pride loves!

weruva's cats in the kitchen "funk in the trunk". it's chicken and pumpkin consomme and they inhale it like they haven't ate in days, lol!
also got Pumpkin Jack Splash Tuna in Pumpkin Soup Recipe and some tiki puka puka chicken. ratman, and sasha still having loose stools even after 3 vet trips, 3 different antibiotics and several hundred dollars. now of course moe has diarrhea. the meds should have killed all the obvious sources. at least moe and sasha go in the litter box. ratman still doesn't always. i'm hoping the good grain free food with pumpkin will help. they hated that science diet prescription crap the vet gave us. they wouldn't even touch it. tucker and valentine are fine so i'm grateful not all 5 of them have it!

we have a new local petstore and they had the big 12.5 oz cans of wellness wet food on sale for $1 so i got some of those and the cats ate it but they didn't seem all that crazy about it. it's normally $2.79 a can!

"even the smallest feline is a masterpiece", Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Premier Cat

Isn't great to find that wet food that does the trick? My girls wouldn't eat anything that looks like it might actually be food, so no Weruva. But both Celia and Casper LOVE the Dave's chicken & tuna - it even got Celia off dry food!

Sorry to hear that Ratman and Sasha are still having tummy issues. I remember that Mochas Mommy and a couple of other members had kitties with a parasite that doesn't show up in a fecal and requires a special test. For the life of me I can't remember what it is - did your vets do any specialized tests?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:00 AM
Premier Cat

Good grief ella! I'm so sorry you're still dealing with the diarrhea issues! Ouch those vet trips for multiple cats can hurt! What have you tried so far since your last posting on this topic? If this diarrhea problem spreads from 1-2 cats to 3 or more, isn't it more likely to be of a bacterial or parasitic source? Have you tried speaking to your vet or trying a new clinic? Did you try asking about the PCR diarrhea panel?

While Weruva makes excellent food, I hope you're aware that it's also much lower in calories than many of the other brands of canned food. If you're feeding little ones or nursing kitties (especially since you're fostering), I'd look to use these as toppers or mix it in with their other food, and not use it exclusively unless you provide generous portions (double the amount). Tiki Cat's Puka Puka is also lower in calories, though not as drastic as Weruva's, but it is low in fat. Cats need high protein, moderate amounts of fat, and very low carbs. While I love Tiki Cat's chicken formulations, for growing kittens, I'd probably give them something mixed in with higher fats. Wellness brands are good, I've used them before. Other brands like NV are expensive but contain much higher amounts of fat.

Weruva - People Food for Pets - Cats in the Kitchen Pouches - Nutrition Information

Weruva - People Food for Pets - Cats in the Kitchen Pouches - Nutrition Information

Gourmet Whole Food for Cats | Puka Puka Luau | Petropics |

Well wishes your problems will be resolved soon. Just worried the constant diarrhea and low calorie food will result in underweight cats, or have GI issues due to inflammation.

Last edited by TabbCatt; 08-26-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 AM
Premier Cat

Forgot to add: you can probably save money by buying some canned pumpkin instead and mix it in to their wet food if you want to avoid the diarrhea mess, but I'm afraid it will only wind up masking the underlying issues.

I just hope you find out what's causing all these loose stools and you get all your healthy kitties back on track!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbCatt View Post
Good grief ella! I'm so sorry you're still dealing with the diarrhea issues! Ouch those vet trips for multiple cats can hurt! What have you tried so far since your last posting on this topic? If this diarrhea problem spreads from 1-2 cats to 3 or more, isn't it more likely to be of a bacterial or parasitic source? Have you tried speaking to your vet or trying a new clinic? Did you try asking about the PCR diarrhea panel?

While Weruva makes excellent food, I hope you're aware that it's also much lower in calories than many of the other brands of canned food. If you're feeding little ones or nursing kitties (especially since you're fostering), I'd look to use these as toppers or mix it in with their other food, and not use it exclusively unless you provide generous portions (double the amount). Tiki Cat's Puka Puka is also lower in calories, though not as drastic as Weruva's, but it is low in fat. Cats need high protein, moderate amounts of fat, and very low carbs. While I love Tiki Cat's chicken formulations, for growing kittens, I'd probably give them something mixed in with higher fats. Wellness brands are good, I've used them before. Other brands like NV are expensive but contain much higher amounts of fat.

Gourmet Whole Food for Cats | Puka Puka Luau | Petropics |

Well wishes your problems will be resolved soon. Just worried the constant diarrhea and low calorie food will result in underweight cats, or have GI issues due to inflammation.
we did go to a new vet. they have been on albon, flagyl and ponazuril. i've used fortiflora, pumpkin, a GI paste that comes in a big syringe that you used to have to get from a vet but now you can just buy it, another diarrhea med that has kaolin and pectin in it, slippery elm, hill's science diet sensitive stomanch food (they wouldn't touch the prescription food), immodium (ratman only on really bad days). we need more specialized tests but we just can't afford it right now but i hope to have it done within a month. my youngest daughter and granddaughter are moving in tomorrow so funds are going to be even more tight for a while. i'm hoping a grain free diet will help..

"even the smallest feline is a masterpiece", Leonardo Da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page