Smelly Right Ear - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Smelly Right Ear

For the past 2 days, Mochi has a funky smell coming from her right ear, I tried wiping her ears with a damp cloth (only the external part, too scared to do anything to the inside). She doesn't scratch it, and does not seem to be experiencing any discomfort. To my untrained eye, her left and right ear look the same

Is this an issue that is trip-worthy to the vet, or should I wait a few more days? She is due for her 16 week shots in a few days.

Other information: she eats well (only wet food, grain free, low carb), has a good pattern of sleep and activeness, alert, responds to name and treats, meows for food at the designated food spot when she is hungry, and she is an indoor cat only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 08-26-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Under better light source, I see a lot of yellow wax/discharge in her right ear. I'm trying to clean it out with a damp cloth, but she doesn't quite enjoy the experience... I guess I'll try cleaning it again in a short while

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 08-26-2015 at 07:23 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Premier Cat

Lady Mochi,
Have the vet take a look, when you go in!
Normally, the ears shouldn't smell 'funny', so a vet check, would be good!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Tom Cat

Yes, you'll need to see the vet. You'll probably be given Epi-Otic solution to put in the ears. Not fun stuff to use, it gets everwhere. Prepare to have it all over the cat, down your arms, on your clothes...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks ladies, I called the vet earlier and they told me to clean her ears as much as I can and see how it goes. But the more I clean, the more stuff came out - and when I shined a torch inside, I could see there is a lot of waxy substance inside!

I'll call them back tomorrow and insist an appointment with the vet! And thank you for the reminder of armoring up before using the Epi-Otic (or whatever Mochi will be prescribed with!) - adding to the shopping list, 1 x apron for me, buy some cheap rag clothes to put it on Mochi before medicating her ears!

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Kitten

Poor Mochi, but it does sound like an ear infection. Vet visit! Not fun to put the drops in, but necessary otherwise the infection could get worse. Good Luck!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Just came back from the vet. Being a 3.5 months old kitten has its perks, everyone went gugu gaga over her!

The vet cleaned out a lot of pus out from her ear. Ruled out mites; it appears the ear is badly infected but the vet is curious what may be the root of this infection. She cannot get a good look down her ears because it was very congested - so for this week, Mochi has been prescribed with ProOtic and Surolan. Once the discharge clears up, we'll need to go back again.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Premier Cat

Lady Mochi,
Depending on where you live, cheat grass, also called fox tail, can be a really bad problem, it can work it's way into the ears, eyes, noses, and rectums of animals...
Just a quick thought...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Cool Cat

Healing vibes for your sweet kitten, hope it clears up fast
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hi ManyCats2Dogs I googled cheat grass and I don't think I've got that near my place. Living in the city and in an apartment, I wonder if the seeds can travel via air?

Thank you Speechie, I had a really good first experience with squirting the anti-biotic and ProOtic into Mochi's ear. She was soundly asleep in my lap (she likes to nap there when I'm on the PC) - so I squirted the two solutions into her ear, and she only woke up to shake her head... Hopefully this whole ear medication thing can remain less traumatizing for her and for me!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page