broken femur -- need advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

broken femur -- need advice

I have a 2-year-old neutered male, inside-only, who got out early this morning. I spent the morning looking for him in my neighborhood only to get a call from animal control saying that he'd been hit by a car. I picked him up right away, and they told me he could put no weight on his hind legs. I took him straight from AC to the vet. By that time, he WAS putting weight on his legs.

He has no internal injuries that they could find, good blood pressure, good vitals, etc., but the X-ray showed that the head of his femur had broken off. The price they quoted for surgery was so far out of our price range as to be laughable (no, I'm not an irresponsible pet owner without a medical fund; I'm a self-employed woman whose work has seen a downturn in recent months and who has a child who just went through a major fracture himself two months ago, further depleting funds).

The vet told us that if we didn't do surgery, she'd suggest euthanasia. I asked her if there were no other options (thinking maybe slinging or casting it to immobilize it?), and she said that cage rest may be a possibility but that she doesn't recommend cage rest because the cat may have some mobility or problems later in life if it doesn't heal properly.

I want Strax to have a good life, to be happy, healthy and whole. Is euthanasia really our only option since surgery is out of the question financially? I'm absolutely sick over this, so please, be kind in your responses if you can. Our cats are ALL strictly indoor cats -- and largely for this reason. We never wanted any of them to be at even the slightest risk of catastrophic injuries.

(He's at the vet now being monitored for any further problems and on pain medications.)

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I should add that I'm not looking for medical advice. I'm just wanting to know if anyone has gone with cage rest and had positive results. I am grasping at straws, here. I don't want to lose him, but I also don't want him suffering.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

I believe amputation would cost much less and cats do just fine on 3 legs.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Senior Cat

Have you looked into something like care credit? If that's not a possibility I'd go with amputation as well. Cats generally adapt very well and it's certainly better than euthanasia in my mind. I don't have a ton of experience with broken bones, but I don't think cage rest would get the bones to heal properly and may cause further issues down the road. If I were you I'd have the x-rays forwarded to an orthopedic vet for a evaluation/second opinion on options.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Premier Cat

Poor Strax...
If the head of the femur is broken off, it would need pins, to set it properly, and thats if the rest, hasn't shattered, where it would need to be reattached...
The only way to have an idea about that, would be to have x-rays done...

Amputation is a good alternative, and is worth checking into...
Cats don't have the mental hang ups, we do, concerning being handicapped!
They just figure it out, and keep on Truckin'!
Whatever you decide to do, the sooner its done, the better, for a healthy recovery!
Don't delay!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Cat Addict

Femoral head damage is much more difficult than a regular leg break because of the location and it's proximity to major nerves and blood vessels.

Our shelter was home to a cat who had an amputation of the entire leg, including femoral head, and he never could really walk again. He dragged himself about and was a very happy cat, but with very limited mobility. We tried a few different things for pain management with him, including acupuncture. But as bleak as this sounds, he was adopted to a man who loves him and built him ramps where he needed them and is living a very happy life.

All that to say, I think that allowing him to heal with cage rest wouldn't be any worse than the cat I'm talking about, and I wouldn't have euthanized him.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cats2dogs View Post
Whatever you decide to do, the sooner its done, the better, for a healthy recovery!

Well for now, a delay is what the doctor has ordered. She had some concerns about potential contusions and internal damage that may not have been visible on the X-rays. He's hospitalized and being treated for pain and given sub q fluids until tonight or tomorrow, when she decides if he's stable and healthy enough for surgery. Then we'll decide.

We've already got a disabled guinea pig (who gets on just fine in spite of a severe head tilt), so a disabled cat wouldn't be a huge issue for us. We'd love him anyway. If amputation is more reasonable, that's definitely something we'll consider. Better being a three-legged little dude than saying goodbye entirely.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Last edited by marie73; 08-26-2015 at 05:31 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
But as bleak as this sounds, he was adopted to a man who loves him and built him ramps where he needed them and is living a very happy life.
Thank you for sharing your experience. This little guy is such a sweetheart; I just want to make the right decision. I am okay with amputation or anything else we can do that would allow us to "fix" him within our budgetary constraints. I'm waiting to hear back from the vet now, actually.

Last edited by marie73; 08-26-2015 at 05:32 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Cat Addict

Not a cat but y dog had a serious accident over 8 years ago. Obviously, I can't compare either circumstances or vets but she is still going strong and very happy. She still has all four legs although she gets odd problems with one leg she is still a very happy and healthy dog.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:08 AM
Premier Cat

Asnnbrg,
How is Strax doing? Have you made any decisions yet?
Sending Healing Prayers for him,
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page